PDA

View Full Version : An Idiot's Guide to Hempy

OBX
03-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Welcome to Hempy Style Growing!

http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19427&d=1301523445

I'm not going to discuss anything but the most basic Hempy style here, as this is a thread for Hempy Newbies and Purists. I'll put up another thread for Hempy Variations.

Here's what you need to make a Hempy Bucket.

1. A bucket (2.5 gallons is a good starter size, but any size will do)
2. A drill or other hole making device - a hot nail works great too.
3. Perlite (any size will do - finer is better for the roots, but too fine will run out the hole. Most of the time even "course" grade comes with enough fine stuff)
4. Complete Hydro Nutes (GH Maxi Series, DM Gold, etc.)

First, measure 2" up from the bottom of your bucket, and drill a pencil sized hole:

http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19372&d=1301509761

Then, fill the bucket with perlite.

Add your favorite seedling or clone.

Water with 1/4 to 1/2 strength hydro nutes, and stop watering when you see a good stream of water coming out of the hole.

Depending on where you place your bucket, you might want a tray underneath to catch the run-off. Use the run-off in your garden or discard.

When you first transplant to the bucket, you will need to water daily, until the roots hit the "res" - you will then notice a happier plant.

It's impossible to overwater a perlite hempy, but try to only water when the bucket feels "light".

You can work your way up to full strength nutes, but I usually top out around 1000 PPM. I use nutes with every watering.

Setting Sun and others are far more accomplished Hempy Growers than I am, but I should be able to help with any basic questions, so feel free to ask away! I'll add the points I've overlooked to the tutorial, so please let me know if anything is unclear.

Happy Hempy Growing!!

Hempy Tips, Problems, and F.A.Q.s:

Tip: You may wish to add a couple supports for the plant as perlite is very loose compared to soil. Or drill holes around the top and L.S.T. the plant with plastic coated wire for added stability.

Tip: Wash or at least rinse the perlite in a big cooler or something before adding it to the bucket - lots 'o dust usually.

Tip: You can make "mini-hempy" buckets from 20oz. Plastic Cups - use a hot nail to make the hole 1" from the bottom - these work well for "up-canning" seedlings & clones later to the larger pot. They also transplant well for outside grows - the perlite makes a great root structure, and it's so light it doesn't tear it up when transplanting.

Tip: Some growers use Osmocote Plus at a rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon mixed in the perlite instead of using hydro nutes. Then use plain water or R/O water with Cal-Mag. Only the "Plus" Osmocote will work as it has all the minor nutes.

Tip: You can add a layer of Coco Coir or Hydroton on top to keep algae at bay and help keep the perlite in place.

Tip: While you can use the MG perlite at the big box store, it's usually less expensive to get a 4 cubic foot bag online or at your local garden center.

Tip: You can get bucket for free or low cost at many places - try Trader Joes for free used flower buckets, or most stores that carry flowers may have them. Dollar stores often have 2-3 gallon buckets. Pretty soon you will start looking at every container you see as a potential hempy bucket... :wink:

Tip: If you see the leaf tips get brown, go with 6.0 PH water only the next time to flush, then REDUCE feeding strength until final flush.

(will add here from questions below so you don't have to read the whole thread)

Q. Can I add anything to straight perlite?

A. Yes, you can use all sorts of additions... coco, peat, and vermiculite being the most common, and the 1/4 ratio is a good one. You do have to watch out for coco's affinity for Ca/Mg, and peat's ph down properties... though I don't really know anything bad about vermiculite other than it could clog the hole? It can have PH effects depending on the source.

For a first timer though, I'd strongly recommend just perlite for the main root zone. It's possible to overwater otherwise. Coco or something else on top does help keep algae away though.

Q. The perlite I have is really small. As in it will come out the hole on the bottom. Maybe I could combine the hydroton and the perlite? Hydroton up to the hole, and then perlite the rest of the way?

A. I've not done that, but from what I've read, that does not work since hydroton does not "wick" the water up from the res as well as perlite. With perlite too, there are no big pockets of water to drown roots - that's why the finer stuff is actually better. It does come out of the hole... but usually not enough to matter. If it clogs, just poke it.

Q. Is there a "feed / water" schedule?

A. Nope, I feed everytime. Just like a hydro plant gets fed as much as possible, so it is with hempy. Just keep the nutes to a strength the plants can handle - they let you know with the tips first. I would keep it lighter than most full strength schedules for DWC, NFT, or Aero. However, if you notice ANY burning on the leaf tips, use water to flush, and be SURE to reduce the nutes in the next watering.

Q. What PH is good for Hempy?

A. It's the same range as Hydro - 5.2 - 6.2, with 5.8 as a target, but some drift is desirable to absorb the nutes over the entire range of PH.

Q. What are the benefits to Hempy?

A. Simplicity is #1 - with just perlite for a medium, you don't have to worry about over-watering, and you can flush it in an instant if you go overboard on nutes. No soil to worry about, no PH checking every day... most nutes are about right with no PH adjustment at all. No root rot, no tanks to change, no lines to clean... it will not match DWC for vegetative growth rate, but it will get close, and with a low failure rate since there's no pump to break, a harvest is almost assured. Hempy will also often result in larger plants and buds than a comparable soil grow, and there is less chance of the plant becoming "root bound". I have found the roots seem to air prune on the sides, and perhaps water prune on the bottom. I've not had spiraled roots yet. You can also re-use perlite after screening the old roots out and using a enzyme treatment. You may wish to pour boiling water over the perlite to be recycled in a large cooler if you have any disease issues during the grow. H2O2 will also help keep diseases from propagating.

Q. Why is the hole so small? And does it have to be exactly 7/16"?

The hole is small so the water does not run out immediately - it wets the perlite above, and then draws fresh air into the root system as the excess water runs out. A little bigger and you'll see more perlite run out and it will empty too fast, and a little smaller and it will get clogged constantly.

http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19428&d=1301523449

(hope you like my hempy sign! Feel free to use it.)

Green007
03-30-2011, 08:04 PM
:nice: +reps brother!

The Hempy sign is AWESOME!

Roseman
03-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Do I need to Sticky this? I think so!

OBX
03-30-2011, 08:11 PM
:nice: +reps brother!

The Hempy sign is AWESOME!

Thanks man! This place is starting to feel like home, so I might as well settle in and contribute right?

Do I need to Sticky this? I think so!

Thanks Brother Rose! Glad you like it. I'll keep working on it if anything needs clarifying.

tokemymeds
03-30-2011, 08:27 PM
very cool OBX +reps its a sticky for sure Rose

TOKE OUT

Bandit420
03-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Freakin' Awesome Bro!!
fyi~ I'm jackin' that hempy flag and having it printed on a t!!!

MostlyCrazy
03-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Great thread OBX! I love idiot's guides! In this area I are one! LOL!

OBX
03-30-2011, 09:13 PM
very cool OBX +reps its a sticky for sure Rose

TOKE OUT

thanks toke!

Freakin' Awesome Bro!!
fyi~ I'm jackin' that hempy flag and having it printed on a t!!!

Thanks man! Glad you like... just messing around with my design program since I didn't feel like doing any real work today...

Great thread OBX! I love idiot's guides! In this area I are one! LOL!

You is my favorite one! Thanks MC.

MostlyCrazy
03-30-2011, 09:22 PM
I resemble that remark!

SkinWins
03-30-2011, 09:23 PM
maybe a new experiment, i'm in

Setting Sun
03-30-2011, 10:28 PM
I knew you'd do an upstanding job on this thread!

great job bro!

rock on OBX! :smoker:

OBX
03-30-2011, 10:32 PM
I knew you'd do an upstanding job on this thread!

great job bro!

rock on OBX! :smoker:

Thanks man!

Anything you'd add? I didn't want to make it too much... but I usually forget something obvious to me that's not exactly to someone new.

chronicdis
03-30-2011, 10:38 PM
this is a great tutorial im new to hempy but testing it out with a couple potential mothers (afghan and blue mystic)

MostlyCrazy
03-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Is it wise to use anything in addition to straight perlite? I only did this once as a test grow and worked from info I saw on the net a good long time ago. I used 3/4 perlite and 1/4 vermiculite.

For me it was a test grow/proof of concept and it worked ok considering I gave little attention to the project and used bag seed.

OBX
03-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Is it wise to use anything in addition to straight perlite? I only did this once as a test grow and worked from info I saw on the net a good long time ago. I used 3/4 perlite and 1/4 vermiculite.

For me it was a test grow/proof of concept and it worked ok considering I gave little attention to the project and used bag seed.

Yes, you can use all sorts of additions... coco, peat, and vermiculite being the most common, and the 1/4 ratio is a good one. You do have to watch out for coco's affinity for Ca/Mg, and peat's ph down properties... though I don't really know anything bad about vermiculite other than it could clog the hole?

For a first timer though, I'd strongly recommend just perlite for the main root zone. It's possible to overwater otherwise. Coco or something else on top does help keep algae away though.

GaladrielDreams
03-30-2011, 10:57 PM
I asked about my hydroton because the perlite I have is really small. As in it will come out the hole on the bottom. Maybe I could combine the hydroton and the perlite?

Hydroton up to the hole, and then perlite the rest of the way?

MostlyCrazy
03-30-2011, 11:07 PM
I used a screen over the holes to avoid spillage. A piece of landscape material would work too.

I see your point on the perlite only as a first grow. I pulled my plants out after the grow and examined the roots and I had a couple of bad spots on them. Could have been the water holding capabilities of the vermiculite. Next time for me is all perlite with some used but washed hydrotron on top.

OBX
03-30-2011, 11:07 PM
I asked about my hydroton because the perlite I have is really small. As in it will come out the hole on the bottom. Maybe I could combine the hydroton and the perlite?

Hydroton up to the hole, and then perlite the rest of the way?

I've not done that, but from what I've read, that does not work since hydroton does not "wick" the water up from the res as well as perlite. With perlite too, there are no big pockets of water to drown roots - that's why the finer stuff is actually better. It does come out of the hole... but usually not enough to matter. If it clogs, just poke it.

GaladrielDreams
03-30-2011, 11:12 PM
I've not done that, but from what I've read, that does not work since hydroton does not "wick" the water up from the res as well as perlite. With perlite too, there are no big pockets of water to drown roots - that's why the finer stuff is actually better. It does come out of the hole... but usually not enough to matter. If it clogs, just poke it.

I used a screen over the holes to avoid spillage. A piece of landscape material would work too.

I see your point on the perlite only as a first grow. I pulled my plants out after the grow and examined the roots and I had a couple of bad spots on them. Could have been the water holding capabilities of the vermiculite. Next time for me is all perlite with some used but washed hydrotron on top.

Cool I might just try that this summer. Thanks!

Setting Sun
03-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Hempy! Hempy! Hempy!

:smoker:

Bandit420
03-30-2011, 11:19 PM
this is a great tutorial im new to hempy but testing it out with a couple potential mothers (afghan and blue mystic)

Watch out with those tin cans Bro. Rust can occur and can give your plants iron toxicities. Little bit of iron is good but there's a good chance of it being too much in those cans.
The galvanized coating will offer a little protection but if you drilled thru it, or it's chipped, or if the upper or lower rim is not protected there could be problems down the road.

Magic Meds
03-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks man!

Anything you'd add? I didn't want to make it too much... but I usually forget something obvious to me that's not exactly to someone new.

I think you did a fabulous job of covering the basics.:thumbsup:

Setting Sun
03-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Yes, you can use all sorts of additions... coco, peat, and vermiculite being the most common, and the 1/4 ratio is a good one. You do have to watch out for coco's affinity for Ca/Mg, and peat's ph down properties... though I don't really know anything bad about vermiculite other than it could clog the hole?

Vermiculite is widely thought to be PH neutral, but it's not.

Depending on where it's mined, it can raise or lower your PH, but
usually will raise it.

I never touch the stuff because there's alternatives that retain
water just as well and don't change my PH, like Pondcare aquatic
soil, or Schultz aquatic soil, also known as Turface.

Straight perlite works fine, but you don't want the real coarse
stuff because it won't wick as well or retain as much water.

Diesel Farmer
03-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Great job OBX!!

I have a question, as you now i do it in soil and am on my second Bubble grow, whats the advantage over soil? More air? Yield?

OBX
03-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Great job OBX!!

I have a question, as you now i do it in soil and am on my second Bubble grow, whats the advantage over soil? More air? Yield?

More control is first - with straight perlite, you pretty much can flush it in a second, and it almost flushes every watering. With dirt... if something goes wrong, it can take a while to correct.

Second, yes, it can yield at hydro rates. I think a DWC bubbleponic setup will veg faster, but hempy usually does just as well if not better for flowering since there's less chance of failure over the course of a grow due to rot, ph, etc...

GaladrielDreams
03-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Is it a Feed/Water/Water Schedule?

Setting Sun
03-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks man!

The only thing I could think of is to let folks know that they
can often get their buckets for free from grocery stores like
Trader Joe's and any supermarket that sells cut flowers.

The cut flowers are delivered to them in 10-liter black buckets,
which the stores usually stack up and throw away.

I asked a couple of times if I could have them, and now I have more than
a lifetime supply :smoker:

OBX
03-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Is it a Feed/Water/Water Schedule?

Nope, I feed everytime. Just like a hydro plant gets fed as much as possible, so it is with hempy. Just keep the nutes to a strength the plants can handle - they let you know with the tips first. I would keep it lighter than most full strength schedules for DWC, NFT, or Aero.

GaladrielDreams
03-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks!

Diesel Farmer
03-30-2011, 11:54 PM
I have soil so dialed that I just dont know if its worth it for me but I may try it to compare, it has alwayz sounded cool just never needed to change other than trying bubbles, thanks OBX, peace!

OBX
03-31-2011, 12:00 AM
I have soil so dialed that I just dont know if its worth it for me but I may try it to compare, it has alwayz sounded cool just never needed to change other than trying bubbles, thanks OBX, peace!

If you have dirt dialed in, it's hard to beat the end result, even with hydro. You will notice an increased veg rate once it hits the res, and just less attention overall needed. You can also re-use perlite.

OBX
03-31-2011, 12:09 AM
The only thing I could think of is to let folks know that they
can often get their buckets for free from grocery stores like
Trader Joe's and any supermarket that sells cut flowers.

The cut flowers are delivered to them in 10-liter black buckets,
which the stores usually stack up and throw away.

I asked a couple of times if I could have them, and now I have more than
a lifetime supply :smoker:

Good point - that's a definite tip!

Bandit420
03-31-2011, 12:10 AM
Great job OBX!!

More control is first - with straight perlite, you pretty much can flush it in a second, and it almost flushes every watering. With dirt... if something goes wrong, it can take a while to correct.

Second, yes, it can yield at hydro rates. I think a DWC bubbleponic setup will veg faster, but hempy usually does just as well if not better for flowering since there's less chance of failure over the course of a grow due to rot, ph, etc...

I'd also like to add that it's a wonderfully ez way for a soil grower or freshman grower to get into hydro without too many complicating factors or equipment.
No pumps or timers is a huge + for those on budgets. Containers can typically be found for free like for soil grows . The ph & ppm is also a set it one time and roll with it rather than constant adjustments. Mediums can be tweaked for a perfect blend to match drainage with enviroment. No moving parts to wear out of fail....I could probably go on and on :rasta2:
The biggest advantage imo is for the soil grower going to hydro. We already have good ideas and sound techniques working with organics. Hempy opens the hydro door to apply those techniques to hydro for some really cool things to happen.
We can knock down the walls of the old ways of thinking that says hydro grows fast but soil tastes better. With hempy we can mold the two into one to create some huge yields very fast with the flavors and richness of a soil grow.
:bong:

OBX
03-31-2011, 12:18 AM
I'd also like to add that it's a wonderfully ez way for a soil grower or freshman grower to get into hydro without too many complicating factors or equipment.
No pumps or timers is a huge + for those on budgets. Containers can typically be found for free like for soil grows . The ph & ppm is also a set it one time and roll with it rather than constant adjustments. Mediums can be tweaked for a perfect blend to match drainage with enviroment. No moving parts to wear out of fail....I could probably go on and on :rasta2:
The biggest advantage imo is for the soil grower going to hydro. We already have good ideas and sound techniques working with organics. Hempy opens the hydro door to apply those techniques to hydro for some really cool things to happen.
We can knock down the walls of the old ways of thinking that says hydro grows fast but soil tastes better. With hempy we can mold the two into one to create some huge yields very fast with the flavors and richness of a soil grow.
:bong:

Very well said!

Maybe you'll do the "advanced hempy" thread? :bong:

I'm really interested in combining the best of dirt and hydro... trying to with the hybrid buckets, but still figuring it out.

Diesel Farmer
03-31-2011, 12:21 AM
I was wondering about taste, sounds like a winner to me, I`ll have to check it out more, thanks all!

Setting Sun
03-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Excellent point Havoc.

Hempy is a great way for a soil grower to learn and
become familiar with hydro nutes, and measuring PH
and ppm, if they haven't done that previously.

It's not absolutely necessary to check PH or ppm's
with hempy, but I think it's necessary if I want to
get things dialed-in.

I think it's pretty necessary for consistent results in
soil grows also, but that's fodder for another thread, lol

Diesel Farmer
03-31-2011, 12:47 AM
measuring pH is a must for any grow IMO, PPM`s or EC can be debated but I do it so I know what happening, such easy steps to take to ensure a healthy plant that its just something I do

Setting Sun
03-31-2011, 12:49 AM
I was wondering about taste, sounds like a winner to me, I`ll have to check it out more, thanks all!

IMO, you can't beat soil for taste and aroma.

But it also depends on the strain and personal
preference.

I grew some Violator Kush that smelled way
too earthy and musty when grown in soil, but
mellow and very tasty when grown in coco.

I think soil gives a stronger, more full-bodied and
complex aroma and flavor, while soilless a softer
and smoother smoke.

Personally, since I'm a medical user, I'm more
focused on the quality of the effect, and how
efficiently I can grow without sacrificing *anything*
to a significant degree.

so yeah, I like big yields, as long as the effect works
for me, and the buds meet my standard for aroma
and taste, which is subjective, but something I can
achieve with coco

I'll never stop growing in soil, because IMO, it does
generally provide the dankest final product, but hempy
and hydro buds can smell and taste awfully good, and
the yield is significantly higher

The diameter of the main stems on my ladies about doubles
with hempy as compared to my soil plants.

OBX
03-31-2011, 12:50 AM
measuring pH is a must for any grow IMO, PPM`s or EC can be debated but I do it so I know what happening, such easy steps to take to ensure a healthy plant that its just something I do

That's a good point.

On my current grow, I had just assumed things were in range since I was using R/O, and the same nutes as always that I had tested so many times... well, the Cal deficiency I was seeing was because somehow the DM nutes must drop PH over time... they are about a year old... and my ph after adding nutes is 5.5, and 5.1 in the run-off... so anyway, you never know, even if you have been using the exact same nutes with R/O water.

Diesel Farmer
03-31-2011, 12:59 AM
The root cause of most issues is a pH issue, so I keep a close eye and check regularly, I live on a well system and it can change overnight from being the same for months (lesson learned, LOL) I have a good system and it took time to get it that way but nothing great comes easy, patience and trial and error is what it took for me and if my time dealing with issues can benefit a new grower to save time I`m all over that, pay it forward is what we call it here, peace all!!

Setting Sun
03-31-2011, 01:36 AM
I learned the hard way also.

I used tap water for my soil grows and I believed
that checking PH in soil was unnecessary.

Our tap water is blended from two different sources,
so it can change in PH and ppm from one day to another,
but I didn't know that until I got a PH meter and started
using it.

Before I started using RO or rainwater, and checking my
PH, whether in soil or whatever, I was always chasing my
tail trying to fix problems with my plants.

I also had to do quite a bit of flushing to get my ladies to
harvest in any kind of shape, and I don't have to do that
anymore.

So I agree with you DF, people should learn from our mistakes,
not repeat them, but I guess I had to make my own, lol

Diesel Farmer
03-31-2011, 01:54 AM
we do brother, lol I germed my first seed in 82 or 83 I cant remember but there was no site at that time for help, shit I didnt have a puter till 15 years ago so I was on my own as most of us back then were, I had no friends growing to ask question, I bought books on biology of plants and botany but mj has its own botany lol but close enough, so trial and error and i`m good now. The web is a wonderful thing for sure, I get to talk to others about a very private thing with no worries, love it!!

Setting Sun
03-31-2011, 07:22 AM
All I had back then was one of the first books published on growing MJ,
and it wasn't very good at all.

and like you, I didn't have anyone to ask questions or get advice from.

I'm sure it gives us an appreciation for how useful and valuable these
forums are.

the amount of freely shared info and assistance is very cool,
but you know, it's just fun sharing something I like doing with
other peeps who like doing it also

hmmmm, that doesn't sound right, lol

Bandit420
03-31-2011, 07:35 AM
I think I would still be growing 1988 style if it was'nt for growers like all of you. Many of the people here have made me the grower I am today and I am so thankful for it. You guys and gals have shared your knowledge and I've sucked it all up to apply to my gardens. Then I combined that info with the things that were taught to me first hand before we had internet and it's given me the best medical marijuana I've ever grown, smoked, or vaped.
Much respect to all of you :baggy:

Theanswerto1984is1776
03-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Great thread OBX, hempy has always been somewhat of a mystery to me and this has clarified the process very well. Thanks for the great contribution!

OBX
04-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks guys! :thankyou2:

I had my first success growing a dozen years ago, but it was nothing compared to what I've learned since starting again two years ago. We are all blessed by others willing to share their knowledge and help smooth the rough spots.

Hoping I can pay it forward a bit with threads like this one...

Green007
04-02-2011, 04:51 PM
...Hoping I can pay it forward a bit with threads like this one...

You are my friend, you are. :wink:

manmeetsfire
04-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Love this thread. Got my hempy going right now and she is looking great. Growing up to be a very proper young lady. Even coming from the projects lol.

OBX
04-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Love this thread. Got my hempy going right now and she is looking great. Growing up to be a very proper young lady. Even coming from the projects lol.

Thanks man!

Do you have a journal up?

Let me know if you think I've left anything out...

manmeetsfire
04-02-2011, 05:19 PM
yea heres my journal. Im still a major nooblet. so stuff like this really helps me. Im using lucas formula, well my wife is. Im in afghanistan. She really loves the hempy. here is my journal. I really should put it in my sig....

http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/showthread.php?2909-Mrs.-Manmeetsfire-Hempy-grow.

OBX
04-09-2011, 02:40 PM
yea heres my journal. Im still a major nooblet. so stuff like this really helps me. Im using lucas formula, well my wife is. Im in afghanistan. She really loves the hempy. here is my journal. I really should put it in my sig....

http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/showthread.php?2909-Mrs.-Manmeetsfire-Hempy-grow.

Sorry I missed this earlier! Just subbed to your journal.

Horse Badorties
05-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Hay OBX,

Great to see you, and it's nice to see this thread here. I just moved in, and it makes me feel right at home :thankyou2:
I think you can have your dirt and hempy, too!

I just finished out a Jack Herer and a White Russian. Both 10l Trader Joe hempies. Covered the hole with coarse perlite, topped with a 2 part coco/one dirt, with a light hydroton mulch.

Mrs Natch and I just finished a curing test bowl of that Jack. It's got a whole nother taste compared to the coco hempys we grew.

The coco Jacks fantastic, but this dirty one :loveweed:, and the WR looks even better :rasta2:

I've been typig this post for 30 min...

Horse

OBX
05-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Hay OBX,

Great to see you, and it's nice to see this thread here. I just moved in, and it makes me feel right at home :thankyou2:
I think you can have your dirt and hempy, too!

I just finished out a Jack Herer and a White Russian. Both 10l Trader Joe hempies. Covered the hole with coarse perlite, topped with a 2 part coco/one dirt, with a light hydroton mulch.

Mrs Natch and I just finished a curing test bowl of that Jack. It's got a whole nother taste compared to the coco hempys we grew.

The coco Jacks fantastic, but this dirty one :loveweed:, and the WR looks even better :rasta2:

I've been typig this post for 30 min...

Horse

lol - Glad to see you here Horse! We really need a post where people can voluntarily link their old and new user names in case you switch... anyone with an active account at 420 would just get banned though, as I found out the hard way.

Still, 420 is doing us all a favor by sending the good members over here... let them keep the sheeple that will put up with being owned for the privlege of posting there.

Posting this from the road... love these mobile modems. Only took me 5 minutes though... but once I get home and get medicated, I will spend much longer per post too... :wink:

Horse Badorties
05-29-2011, 07:21 PM
OBX, what program did you use for your avatar? It is simply awesome!

OBX
05-29-2011, 07:23 PM
OBX, what program did you use for your avatar? It is simply awesome!

No program - just copied the CMH spectrum from a website.

... edit... or are you asking about the Hempy logo? Chief Architect X1... my design software.

Horse Badorties
05-29-2011, 07:32 PM
The Hempy!!!! I wish CA worked on a mac... my copy of Vectorworks is ancient!

OBX
05-29-2011, 08:21 PM
The Hempy!!!! I wish CA worked on a mac... my copy of Vectorworks is ancient!

I hear you - CA is real nice for 3D, and I'm getting used to generating construction docs with it. Not too much business these days though... hope the spec house market comes back in my lifetime!

Horse Badorties
05-30-2011, 07:25 PM
I hear you - CA is real nice for 3D, and I'm getting used to generating construction docs with it. Not too much business these days though... hope the spec house market comes back in my lifetime!

All the designing I've done lately has been able to fit on a napkin!

Blue Dawg
06-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Hey OBX awesome thread! I think you coverered the basics very quickly and comprehensively, great job. And of course the best part about hempy is that in it's purest form it's as basic as it gets.

Everyone always seems to focus on perlite going out the hole lol... in my experience there's usually a few pieces each watering but nothing to even notice. The perlite gets saturated and kind of heavy and stuck together when it's wet, I guess that's why so little escapes. I wish the really small crap would run out but it just congeals at the bottom.

One small thing OC+ should be used at a minimum of one tablespoon per gallon, you said tsp. I use about 2 tbsp per gallon, it's so cheap and I don't want to run out and it won't come close to burning them at that rate.

How can I get your hempy label? I love it :welldone:

OBX
06-02-2011, 01:12 PM
One small thing OC+ should be used at a minimum of one tablespoon per gallon, you said tsp. I use about 2 tbsp per gallon, it's so cheap and I don't want to run out and it won't come close to burning them at that rate.

How can I get your hempy label? I love it :welldone:

You can absolutely use the hempy label! Copy it from here, or the first page has a high res version which you can resize.

I had burn on my first and only OC+ grow, which is why I'm conservative with the amount... however, I know many have had success with 1 Tablespoon per gallon ratio. Maybe it depends on how hot your media gets??

So glad you're here Blue Dawg! I hope you and the other hempy growers will adopt this thread or start another one to continue what we had at the old site. Horse says they just shut it down... which makes sense you know... hempy is sort of hydro which includes bubbleponics... so it must need to be banned right? :wink:

Speaking of OC+ - I do miss Doc Bud's input - is he still around?

Setting Sun
06-02-2011, 02:46 PM
yep, he's still around.

I invited him over here a couple times.

Blue Dawg
06-02-2011, 03:23 PM
I'd love to have him over here too, but as best I can tell every other active contributor to that thread is here.

OBX thanks I'm gonna steal that awesome badge :woohoo:

There's no need for a new thread this one is great so we'll just take up residence here if that's cool bro.

I may start an OC+ thread if there's a need, I know where I can get lots of info for it lol.

High temps and OC+ do not get along, anything low 80's and below it works great.

On their website they had marigolds I believe, grown in a small container at 7x the recommended dosage and it was healthy as can be.

The principle it acts under is osmotic, and at higher temps it releases more, assuming that the plant is growing faster. Which is fine until you get too hot.

OBX
06-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I'd love to have him over here too, but as best I can tell every other active contributor to that thread is here.

OBX thanks I'm gonna steal that awesome badge :woohoo:

There's no need for a new thread this one is great so we'll just take up residence here if that's cool bro.

I may start an OC+ thread if there's a need, I know where I can get lots of info for it lol.

High temps and OC+ do not get along, anything low 80's and below it works great.

On their website they had marigolds I believe, grown in a small container at 7x the recommended dosage and it was healthy as can be.

The principle it acts under is osmotic, and at higher temps it releases more, assuming that the plant is growing faster. Which is fine until you get too hot.

I was running temps in the low eighties, so that must be what happened on my grow... plus I supplemented with GH dry, and that really burned it. it still turned out great though.

I'm thinking I'll try OC+ again in the Hippy buckets, along side my worm compost mix, so I can water both with plain water off an autowater timer hooked to my R/O system.

Yeah man, let's keep this thread active so it gets noticed by potential hempy growers... :sweet::hippy:

TazDevil420
06-02-2011, 04:21 PM
With summer coming up i'm considering hempy for my next grow.
Can you do an airpot hempy grow? I wonder how that would work if its even possible?

OBX
06-02-2011, 07:02 PM
With summer coming up i'm considering hempy for my next grow.
Can you do an airpot hempy grow? I wonder how that would work if its even possible?

No, I can't really see how it'd be hempy with more than one hole... but an airpot soil grow would be the best for heat I think? Do you already have the airpots?

TazDevil420
06-02-2011, 07:15 PM
No, I can't really see how it'd be hempy with more than one hole... but an airpot soil grow would be the best for heat I think? Do you already have the airpots?

No i dont have the airpots.
I was just thinking that with all the rave reviews the airport is getting with its root pruning, etc..that if you could somehow add a small res to the bottom of one and make it hempy type setup..it might kick some serious ass.

OBX
06-02-2011, 07:17 PM
No i dont have the airpots.
I was just thinking that with all the rave reviews the airport is getting with its root pruning, etc..that if you could somehow add a small res to the bottom of one and make it hempy type setup..it might kick some serious ass.

That's actually exactly what I'm doing with my Hippy Buckets - take a look at the last page of my journal...

edit - sorry, didn't realize how many posts there were!

Here's a pic - I'll put up a thread about them if you're interested.

http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26012&d=1306243265

BlueSmoke
06-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Actually, I was thinking of adding an airpot-hempy to my next grow.

I figured you could set the air-pot into a very shallow container, and monitor the level of the res from outside the pot. I was trying to figure out what to call it, and the best I could come up with was "Inside-out-hempy"...since the res is outside the pot.

You guys were a huge motivator for me, and honestly I can see myself playing with my bubble buckets in the future, but I'll always be hempy. I don't have the time or energy to keep up with most other systems. Hempy rocks, and I only know it because of you guys. Thanks so much!!

OBX
06-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Actually, I was thinking of adding an airpot-hempy to my next grow.

I figured you could set the air-pot into a very shallow container, and monitor the level of the res from outside the pot. I was trying to figure out what to call it, and the best I could come up with was "Inside-out-hempy"...since the res is outside the pot.

You guys were a huge motivator for me, and honestly I can see myself playing with my bubble buckets in the future, but I'll always be hempy. I don't have the time or energy to keep up with most other systems. Hempy rocks, and I only know it because of you guys. Thanks so much!!

Yeah man, I'm going for the total low maint. system with the latest design - all you have to do is fill the bottom - can't overwater if you tried.

http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26014&d=1306243291

It's basically a net cup filled with coco under a bag of media made from landscape cloth hung from the rim of a 5 gallon pot with a hole big enough for the net pot in the side.

http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26011&d=1306243255

Blue Dawg
06-02-2011, 09:14 PM
OBX I can't see your pics bro.

OBX
06-02-2011, 09:27 PM
OBX I can't see your pics bro.

Huh, I copied them from the other thread... try now - I just replaced them with links from my album.

Blue Dawg
06-02-2011, 10:16 PM
:thumbsup:

OBX
06-02-2011, 10:56 PM
:thumbsup:

You know, I bet you could do the same with an airpot - just sit it on top of a net cup filled with coco... with a "muffin top" to ensure contact.

The material I'm using is just like the smart pot stuff, and it stops the roots without letting them circle.

Blue Dawg
06-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Hey OBX! Among the many things I don't know anything about are airpots and smartpots lol

Right now I just want to nail a grow, my last one was only a third of what I was hoping for. So I'm sticking with straight perlite and just a bit of vermiculite. Then I want to try some dirty hempies like MagicMeds and Horse are running. I've got coco, lava rocks and soil.

Do you think your ideas would work in 2L's?

BlueSmoke
06-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I can sorta see where you're going there OBX, but honestly I'm a little too baked right now to really "get it", so I drew a pic of what I was thinking.

Maybe yours is like mine with an outside shell. It looks like that's basically the idea.

Here's my concept for my "tomato" plants. :laughing:

Light / Algae are my real concerns with this design so far. But in concept, it should be something very similar to hempy.

I was also trying to think of a way to set up a sensor under the drain hole in my current grow, and set it up to an auto-watering system. My wife won a trip from her work (Manager of the year, WOOT) and we get to go on an all expenses paid trip.....in 3 and 1/2 weeks..lol. That, or I'm going to set up a webcam on them, and figure out a way to remotely dispense the nutes.

Anyway, happy hempying all!

Blue Dawg
06-03-2011, 01:14 AM
That looks like Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree!

chetly
07-26-2011, 06:43 PM
this sounds like what im looking for.im trying to deside on soil or hempy for clones i will ta
ke in a few days.i think hempy just won..you fokes here know your plants.and are always trying to improve the grows...thanks....

Setting Sun
07-26-2011, 11:55 PM
I love to grow in both soil and hempy buckets,
so that choice is a win-win in my book.

IMO, soil provides somewhat better tasting buds than
soilless media, but soillless hempy buckets tend to
provide higher yields.

what media are you planning to use in your hempy grow?

Brujah
07-27-2011, 12:33 AM
great thread. im gonna give it a try

Setting Sun
07-27-2011, 01:11 AM
I think you'll find it a lot less work than DWC,
which some growers like and some don't.

Personalities seem to come into play when we choose a
grow method, and peeps who like to actively tend
their garden seem to gravitate to hydro, whereas us
lazy bastages generally go with soil or hempy, lol

danielkreger45
07-29-2011, 12:46 AM
my next grow is definatley going to have some hempy plants!!!

Roseman
08-03-2011, 03:56 PM
We need a Very Experienced Hempy Grower to volunteer to write up a HEMPY Bucket test, and start a Hempy University Thread. PM me if interested.

Kiwikaki
09-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Really nice thread OBX!

I'm starting a hempy grow soon myself and I have some questions to ask all of you hempy growers.
Will I do ok with GH Gro. Bloom and micro nutrients or do I need anything ( I'm on a quite low budget so im trying to leave out anyting expensive that isnt necessary). Allso can i manage with pH strips and without an EC/ppm-meter, that would be another atleast 40 euro investment. and lastly at what point do I put my seedlings in the rockwool cubes in to the perlite bucket.

619ster
09-19-2011, 09:26 PM
I do perlite hempy with only the bloom and micro at Lucas Formula ratios. No ph or ppm meter. But you do want to test your tap ph if that's what you're using. No need in RO from my experience. www.lucasformula.com

Blue Dawg
09-20-2011, 01:45 AM
As far as transplanting goes, what you want to avoid is a situation where the roots are a long way from the res. I put my seedlings in plugs in a beer cup mini-hempy. Fill the cup with perlite, make a small hole an inch from the bottom for your res, and you're good to go. Let it grow in there for a few weeks until the roots are pretty well filling it up, then transplant again.

I also like to use a clear plastic inner cup with a solid colored outer cup. The clear cup has the hole. That way you can pull it and easily see how your roots are doing. Good luck and let us know if we can help :rasta:

Kiwikaki
09-20-2011, 05:35 AM
619ster you mentioned the tap water pH, what range is acceptable to still use without adjustment and where should I aim? Allso, do plants stress much about transplanting. Is it recommended to start with party cup and transplant when growing auto flowering strains ?

BlueSmoke
09-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Is it recommended to start with party cup and transplant when growing auto flowering strains ?

I grow auto's, and the one's I've transplanted have all been smaller. I believe it's wiser to plant an auto in it's final pot, and leave it. These things have genetic "Expiration Dates" basically built into them, and every day wasted to transplant shock is lowering your yield.

In my hempy's I shoot for 5.8 on the ph. There are some great resources around here about all of this stuff, I'll go find some links for ya. The problem I run into with Hempy is that is seems like soil, so people you try to explain it to at the hydro store will likely steer you wrong. It's a straight hydro rig from PH to PPM to feeding schedules.

Good Luck.

Kiwikaki
09-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Thats what I tought about transplanting autos bluesmoke. In what size hempy you have gotten the best resuslts in. Since plant start growing way faster once they hit the bottom reso, i quess it wouldnt be good to plant in too big hempy. Is 3 liters too big or too small what do you think?

BlueSmoke
09-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I guess it's really more an issue of what kind of plant you want.

Look at BlueDawg's grow journal vs. mine for a good idea of what I'm talking about.

I've been using 2-gallon buckets, and getting bushes that yield at Breeder's Specs.

He's using 2L pop bottles and getting GREAT results with plants of a totally different structure.

Here's what I THINK happens....the plant "knows" the size of the container based on root growth, and adjusts accordingly above ground.

If I had the space, I'd be using 5-gallon buckets and growing trees!!! :lol: :supersmile:

But, I don't, so I use a bucket that's going to limit the plants to the size of my area.
I'm starting my new non-autos and auto's alike in CocoGro Boss cubes, because I figure when it's "full" I can basically set it on top of a bucket filled with more coco and it will just blend together. I'm switching away from using straight perlite, because it's messy and hard to dispose of around here.

hope this helps.

Kiwikaki
09-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Yes very much so bluesmoke. Thanks for the tips :thankyou2:

Allso reading your auto journal now and its amazing. As a fellow blackstar user what do you think, will 180w blackstar be enough for 2x2 feet tent? And have you noticed any positive effects with the added cfls

Roseman
09-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Where is OBX?

Setting Sun
09-21-2011, 09:31 PM
last time I checked, he was busy with life, but I'm missing him.

Horse Badorties
09-21-2011, 09:35 PM

Me too! I especially wanted to see how the hybrid hempy worked out?

OBX
09-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Where is OBX?

Right here! Still checking in occasionally, but had some bad stuff happen. Hurricane, lost bank account, two year old broke his foot... you know, life stuff.

OBX
09-21-2011, 10:21 PM

Ditto! Been missing you all.

OBX
09-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Me too! I especially wanted to see how the hybrid hempy worked out?

Worked out great. 16oz from 8 5 gallon pots in a 3x4 foot space.

With this summer's outdoor tomato crop, I used just earthworm compost, perlite, vermiculite, and peat at first, which made for some exceptionally thick and healthy plants, but they started showing deficiencies when it was flower time, so I supplemented with organic tomato food. Still going strong - only part of my garden to survive the hurricane since I was able to move them to higher ground.

Anyway... they did really well outside in crazy heat all summer with a variety of plants, so I'm thinking the design is pretty good for most conditions.

I just found something new though... turkey litter. A guy I know has a turkey farm, and has given me permission to take as much as I want out of his 280 ton pile of poop, urine, and bedding. Along with the occasional carcass. Yuck.

I looked up the NPK, and looks like it's practically made for cannabis, especially blooming. Will be testing on tomatoes in the hippy pots soon.

Blue Dawg
09-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles OBX! Especially the poor little one. Saw a guy wearing an OBX shirt over the weekend... I said 'so that's what it stands for'. He looked at me like I was a little off lol.

Blue Dawg
09-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Hey great smoke man but I dunno... it kinda tastes like chicken or something :woohoo:

Horse Badorties
09-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Worked out great. 16oz from 8 5 gallon pots in a 3x4 foot space.

With this summer's outdoor tomato crop, I used just earthworm compost, perlite, vermiculite, and peat at first, which made for some exceptionally thick and healthy plants, but they started showing deficiencies when it was flower time, so I supplemented with organic tomato food. Still going strong - only part of my garden to survive the hurricane since I was able to move them to higher ground.

Anyway... they did really well outside in crazy heat all summer with a variety of plants, so I'm thinking the design is pretty good for most conditions.

I just found something new though... turkey litter. A guy I know has a turkey farm, and has given me permission to take as much as I want out of his 280 ton pile of poop, urine, and bedding. Along with the occasional carcass. Yuck.

I looked up the NPK, and looks like it's practically made for cannabis, especially blooming. Will be testing on tomatoes in the hippy pots soon.

Wow, that must have one packed closet... doesn't sound like you could have worked in a vertical yo=yo though :smoker:

Glad to hear you weathered the hurricane... we had coastal company for a couple of days!

Great score on the turkey poop, does it have to age like chicken shit? I hope that domestic turkey superior intelligence isn't passed on thru the tomatoes :smoker:

Ganjwolf
11-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Anyone using 100% coco hempys? Is it possible to run fine coco with chunk coco in the reservoir? I know the norm is to mix in perlite, but I would like to get away from it. I've used 100% perlite with good results, but it always seems to make a mess in my experience. Coco seems much tidier.

I was also wondering if anyone was running only organic nutrients (except perhaps synthetic cal/mag) in a hempy bucket.

My third and final question is about flushing. I know the OC+ guys don't do it, but I wonder how some of the other hempy vets approach it. After flushing 2 weeks I had premature yellow/necrosis and still felt like it could have been flushed better (hence my interest in organics). I used 2 part synthetic triflex grow and pbp bloom (which is supposed to be at least partially organic).

Thanks for reading! I hold bluedawg, ss, obx, and docbud (among others) in the highest regard! I followed your respective threads on another forum, and I can't thank you all enough for sharing your knowledge. I would still probably be a failed soil guy without your patient and informative posts.

Setting Sun
11-11-2011, 06:18 AM
The problem with running 100% coco in a typical 10-liter hempy bucket is that
it compresses too much at the bottom and then won't drain properly.

Hempy (the person) ran into that problem and then started using perlite up to
the level of the hole, then filling the rest with coco.

I think I would do the same thing if I wanted to run a coco hempy. The chunk coco
may still compact too much because of the weight, and that would be a bummer.

Organics in a coco is risky IMO. I tried using molasses once and got a terrible case
of root rot.

I think it can be done, but if I have to use H2O2 to keep things from getting funky,
that kills off the micro-herd, so I lose one of the biggest advantages of organic.

I'm running a couple of plants now in a 50/50 mix of perlite and Pondcare Aquatic
Soil. The aquatic soil adds a lot of water retention to the perlite and it's PH neutral.

This mix seems to hold as much or almost as much water as coco, and it seems to
aerate well also.

They carry this stuff in the local OSH:

http://bubbleponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=55171&d=1320992307

Ganjwolf
11-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the speedy reply!

I wasn't aware of the dangers of the organics and coco combo. I guess I'm just trying to get as close to an organic taste as posible. All the organic people are boasting about better taste and I want in! I'm not willing to go back to pure soil though. Soil pots take up 5 times the space as hempys at my estimate. Guess I'll just have to get my flush dialed in.

I'm doing a run with kelp with success so far. I'll let everyone know if i run into root disease, but to be honest i think my reservoir doesn't stay filled long enough. I run gallon milk jug hempys (with handles!) with heavily trained tomato plants that suck the res dry in about 36-48 hours during heavy fruiting. Also my rh is always around 25% so that probably contributes with evaporation.

I'm thinking coco would help with the evap. I will have to look into the aquatic soil. Never would have even thought of that! I found some on the net that is supposed to have beneficial bacteria!

I may try another oc+ run too as my first was with 400+ tap water. It stayed green all the way but tasted AWFUL!

Sorry for the long posts but I have just 1 more question. SS, you have mentioned using rainwater and I would like to ask you and anyone else that does the same what your collection methods are. How do you keep out algae? It would be great not to have to go to the store for water all the time. I also read that you (SS) reuse your runoff and I plan to try that as I hate buying water! Nutrients I have plenty of its the water that keeps making me leave the house.

thanks for all the info!

Setting Sun
11-11-2011, 10:13 AM
I wasn't aware of the dangers of the organics and coco combo. I guess I'm just trying to get as close to an organic taste as posible. All the organic people are boasting about better taste and I want in! I'm not willing to go back to pure soil though. Soil pots take up 5 times the space as hempys at my estimate. Guess I'll just have to get my flush dialed in.

Organics and coco can work fine, the problem is with the "res" at the bottom of the hempy bucket.

The risk of anaerobic bacteria flourishing down there is what make it risky, IMO.

I may try another oc+ run too as my first was with 400+ tap water. It stayed green all the way but tasted AWFUL!

If your plants stayed green all the way through, but tasted bad, they may just have needed some
flushing before harvest. I still wouldn't use 400+ tap water though on my grows.

Sorry for the long posts but I have just 1 more question. SS, you have mentioned using rainwater and I would like to ask you and anyone else that does the same what your collection methods are. How do you keep out algae? It would be great not to have to go to the store for water all the time. I also read that you (SS) reuse your runoff and I plan to try that as I hate buying water! Nutrients I have plenty of its the water that keeps making me leave the house.

my rainwater collection system is extremely ghetto, lol

There's one spot on my house where the rainwater drains off the roof in a nice
stream, so I put a 32-gallon trash can under there and after it fills up, I use a
bucket to transfer the water to a bunch of totes and other containers that I've
hoarded over the years, lol

I have two 10-gallon containers with spigots near my grow room that I fill from
the other containers.

With a decent rainstorm, I can store about 200-300 gallons in various
containers.

I've been meaning to install a 300-gallon rain collection tank with a
water diverter on the rain gutter, but just haven't gotten around to it.

There are also some collapsible rain barrels that work well for storing
large amounts of rainwater.

thanks for all the info!

you're welcome!

OBX
11-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Anyone using 100% coco hempys? Is it possible to run fine coco with chunk coco in the reservoir? I know the norm is to mix in perlite, but I would like to get away from it. I've used 100% perlite with good results, but it always seems to make a mess in my experience. Coco seems much tidier.

I was also wondering if anyone was running only organic nutrients (except perhaps synthetic cal/mag) in a hempy bucket.

My third and final question is about flushing. I know the OC+ guys don't do it, but I wonder how some of the other hempy vets approach it. After flushing 2 weeks I had premature yellow/necrosis and still felt like it could have been flushed better (hence my interest in organics). I used 2 part synthetic triflex grow and pbp bloom (which is supposed to be at least partially organic).

Thanks for reading! I hold bluedawg, ss, obx, and docbud (among others) in the highest regard! I followed your respective threads on another forum, and I can't thank you all enough for sharing your knowledge. I would still probably be a failed soil guy without your patient and informative posts.

Organics and coco can work fine, the problem is with the "res" at the bottom of the hempy bucket.

The risk of anaerobic bacteria flourishing down there is what make it risky, IMO.

Exactly.

I have run pure coco in my "hippy buckets" - link in my signature. Worked just as well as perlite.

I ran organics all summer with tomatoes in the same buckets, worked fine but had to supplement during flowering.

Going with a turkey litter mix now... will post results when I have them.

Green007
11-12-2011, 05:27 AM
:nice:

Ganjwolf
11-12-2011, 07:25 PM
I always seem to have mag issues beginning in mid bloom in perlite hempy. I've seen photos that suggest others are having similar problems (yellowing, necrosis, etc).

I use 5 ml btc calmag+ mixing 1 gal r/o at a time ph at or just below 6 with a dropper test. The reservoir is usually nearly empty at feeding time. I've tried bumping it up to as much as 7.5ml/gal, but i read another thread saying 5 ml (or less) is all you need. I don't have a ppm meter but i follow the directions on the nute bottles (not the aggressive strength).

The last run had fewer problems, which i attribute to adding humbolt bloom natural at half strength. This fixed a p deficiency and would bring my ph up to 6ish with no added ph up. I dislike using ph up/down because i want all the ppm in my solution to be usable by the plant, if possible. the humbolt bottle says it has quite a bit of calcium (10% analysis) and i indeed saw an end to calcium issues. The mag problems are still there. All the nutrient schedules i see say to cut off cal/mag a week or so before harvest, but my leaves were so chewed up I couldn't bring myself to cut them off until the last few days.

Does this mean I should add more calmag+? I read that its hard to burn them on calmag, but i'm more worried about lockout. I considered epsom salt, but i don't want to just keep adding things.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences. If I left out any info that may pertain to my specific problem, please let me know. Thanks!

Setting Sun
11-13-2011, 12:44 AM
Pics of your plants would help Ganjwolf, because *some*
yellowing and necrosis at mid-bloom is pretty normal
for a lot of strains.

As long as the buds developed well, I wouldn't be too
concerned about it, but it's hard to tell how much yellowing
you're talking about without looking at pics.

I don't think perlite requires as much cal-mag as coco,
but it doesn't supply anything to the plants, so it does
require some.

If the Humboldt cured the calcium issue, but you've still
got the mag issue, I think you could bump up the cal-mag
to somewhere between 5-10 ml per gallon and see if that
clears things up.

In any case, one of the cool things about hempy is how easy
it is to flush, so if you suspect a lockout, you could easily flush
and get back to baseline.

From what you're describing, I'd bump the cal-mag up to 7.5ml/gal
and see if that improves things. If it doesn't improve things enough,
then go up to 10ml, but don't trip too much on some leaves yellowing
at mid-bloom, cause that can be pretty normal as long as the rest
of the plant is doing OK.

Ganjwolf
11-13-2011, 06:24 AM
Its great to be discussing these things with friends. I appreciate all the info and input from everyone.

I want to make it clear to anyone reading this thread and considering hempy for the first time that it is super easy and provides the potential for vigorous growth! The fact that the only thing an inexperienced grower such as myself has to complain about is dialing in cal/mag is truly a testament to its ease and simplicity!

SS, I will try bumping it up a bit. Lockout is my biggest fear. While it is true that flushing a hempy is as easy as turning on a faucet in most cases, I hate doing it because my tap is so bad. It hovers above 8.5 ph most of the time and its chock full of chloramines. Last time I used it to flush i had ph problems even after I emptied as much out of the reservoir as was possible. So I feel like I have to use r/o to flush and I try to avoid it.

Wow, I really need to work on that rainwater collector :laughing:.

Its comforting to hear that its not abnormal to get a little mag "rust" as you get deeper into blossom. I had always heard that its just showing "fall colors," but I always thought it was only supposed to show yellow from the nitrogen getting used up. That is why I brought it to the hempy veterans! I think some of the most experienced and intelligent minds in the world of hempy have posts in this thread, and that is why I joined BP forums.

Setting Sun
11-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Hempy is such a great grow method.

One of those things where you gain both simplicity *and* results,
and that's very cool IMO.

I'm not sure if you mentioned, Ganjwolf, but what base nutes are you
using along with the cal-mag?

also, is the yellowing you're mentioning mainly in the lower older leaves,
newer top leaves, or just a general all-over yellowing?

When I joined this site, I was concerned that since it was a smaller site,
I wouldn't learn as much here, but my fears were unfounded, because
since joining here, I don't find myself having to surf other grow forums
nearly as much as I used to when I was a member of a bigger site.

Quality over quantity.

Ganjwolf
11-13-2011, 08:16 AM
The worst problems I had were with pure blend pro. I stupidly got the hydro version and even the botanicare schedule says to switch to soil version halfway through. Go figure! Hydro version has a terrible n-p-k in my opinion and no micros. Too much k and n not enough p I don't even know why I bought it :huh:

Lately the buckets are running triflex 3 part I had laying around. It still has terrible n-p-k, but I've managed it with the natural bloom(0-10-0). I run it in veg and blossom at 2.5 ml/gal . I also run snowstorm at 2.5ml and cal/mag @ 5ml. I mentioned that I follow the bottles directions, but that is not entirely true. I use a few ml less of the 3-part because I don't want too many ppm with the supplements. You shouldn't have got me started on nutes! Bet you wish you could close that can of worms!

I think when I use this stuff up I want to switch to simpler nutes (5 different bottles!) but I also feel like tailoring what I have to fit the situation has helped me understand what the plants want. Hempy makes it easy to see if you are mixing up elixir of the gods or if you need to go back to the drawing board. Usually I can tell if things are on the right track in less than 24 hours.

The yellowing is mainly on old leaves. However, late in blossom when the older leaves drop, the upper leaves can be affected too. I have even had deficiency in sugar leaves and thats what I'm trying to avoid like the plague. I don't think it will get that bad again though (I was also fighting P probs from the pure blend). Everything looks green except about 5 or 6 lower leaves per bush.

My main concern is that when the old leaves aren't there to leech from, they will begin to suck the mag from the sugar leaves. I really want to try defoliating but I'm afraid it will cause them to turn whats left yellow(or worse).

Setting Sun
11-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Mixing different manufacturers lines of nutes can work,
but it complicates things a lot, and sometimes they don't
interact with each other well.

I can relate to learning a lot from having to bail my plant
out of different situations, but in the final analysis, I've
found that the KISS approach gives me the best results,
and my plants and I get much less stressed :)

I don't put as much focus or emphasis on nutes today as
I used to, because I've found that other factors make much
more difference in how well my plants do.

Nute vendors hype up their products in a way that makes it
seem that all you need to grow nice plants is a certain bottle,
or more usually a large number of bottles, when in reality,
your grow environment plays a much larger role in how your
plants turn out.

Optimizing your lighting, temperatures, relative humidity and ventilation
will have a much greater effect on things than nutes.

I'd rather use Miracle Grow in a good environment than Advanced
Nutrients in a poor environment :)

I'm practicing what I'm preaching too, because in my current hempy grow,
I'm just using VF-11 and Cal-Mag. No bloom boosters or other supplements.

I would stick with just one manufacturer's basic nute line at 1/2 the recommended
dose, and see if you still get the same yellowing. If you do, then your water might
be the problem.

OBX
11-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Good advice Sun!

I agree with the KISS approach on nutes. I used to spend a lot on Dutch Masters Gold, but have had just as good results with GH dry. Cal-Mag does seem to be a must though, at least with Hempy, and especially when using R/O water.

The worst problems I've had stemmed from letting my PH go too low - I used to keep it in the hydro range, but the more I grow, the more I agree with Xare's method of keeping it in the soil range.

I don't think yellowing leaves are a big problem during flowering if they are old leaves - anything wrong with new growth though, and you've got big problems. Almost always PH too low, or overfeeding.

Setting Sun
11-13-2011, 01:06 PM
you're running your coco hempies at 6.5 or thereabouts and
it's working better than hydro range?

we're you running them at around 5.5 before or higher?

I've sort of settled on 6.0 as my pivot point with hempy
grows, and that's been working, but I'm open to other
ideas, especially yours :)

Ganjwolf
11-13-2011, 05:28 PM
I couldn't agree more about letting the ph drop. My best results came from running around 6.0. I may try going higher like obx suggests, since low ph does seem to cause problems.

I couldn't agree more about using a lot of nutes and the hype and advertising involved. Its all capitalism. Unfortunately I bought most of them before I knew what I was doing.

Some of the people at another forum are discussing using gh maxi dry and a bloom booster and thats it! Sounds KISS to me! I read some of the vf-11 info but I'll look into it more.

OBX
11-13-2011, 05:43 PM
you're running your coco hempies at 6.5 or thereabouts and
it's working better than hydro range?

we're you running them at around 5.5 before or higher?

I've sort of settled on 6.0 as my pivot point with hempy
grows, and that's been working, but I'm open to other
ideas, especially yours :)

I was running around 5.5, and that was too low. I think 6.0 is a good "pivot point" - slightly lower than the "official" soil range.

I'm actually completely out of hempies now except for mini solo cup hempies to start plants - and using GH dry with no adjustments works great.

The mix I'm running right now is totally organic - peat, perlite, vermiculite, sand, turkey litter, and worm compost. Watering with straight 200 PPM tap water 7.0 pH. I will start a thread eventually to document it...

I couldn't agree more about letting the ph drop. My best results came from running around 6.0. I may try going higher like obx suggests, since low ph does seem to cause problems.

I couldn't agree more about using a lot of nutes and the hype and advertising involved. Its all capitalism. Unfortunately I bought most of them before I knew what I was doing.

Some of the people at another forum are discussing using gh maxi dry and a bloom booster and thats it! Sounds KISS to me! I read some of the vf-11 info but I'll look into it more.

I think 6.0 is fine, and I didn't exactly kill my plants running lower - still ended up with 2oz per plant.

I've always had good luck with GH dry - had a problem with PH dropping unexpectedly with the DM Gold which is why I've given it up.

Green007
11-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Excellent disscussion. :popcorn:

Setting Sun
11-14-2011, 12:12 AM
I was running around 5.5, and that was too low. I think 6.0 is a good "pivot point" - slightly lower than the "official" soil range.

I'm actually completely out of hempies now except for mini solo cup hempies to start plants - and using GH dry with no adjustments works great.

The mix I'm running right now is totally organic - peat, perlite, vermiculite, sand, turkey litter, and worm compost. Watering with straight 200 PPM tap water 7.0 pH. I will start a thread eventually to document it...

I think 6.0 is fine, and I didn't exactly kill my plants running lower - still ended up with 2oz per plant.

I've always had good luck with GH dry - had a problem with PH dropping unexpectedly with the DM Gold which is why I've given it up.

cool, thanks for the additional info.

How are you using the GH dry? Are you using both the Gro and Bloom,
every feeding, and at what doses?

I recall using both the Gro and Bloom at 1/3tsp at every watering with
really good results.

GH doesn't seem to push the dry stuff as much as the
pricier liquids, but it's basically the same stuff.

I found that the Bloom powder takes a lot of shaking to dissolve in cold water,
but it dissolves much faster and more completely in hot water.

OBX
11-14-2011, 11:47 AM
cool, thanks for the additional info.

How are you using the GH dry? Are you using both the Gro and Bloom,
every feeding, and at what doses?

I recall using both the Gro and Bloom at 1/3tsp at every watering with
really good results.

GH doesn't seem to push the dry stuff as much as the
pricier liquids, but it's basically the same stuff.

I found that the Bloom powder takes a lot of shaking to dissolve in cold water,
but it dissolves much faster and more completely in hot water.

I'm just using the grow now at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon for starting plants.

I have used both last grow, and yes, the bloom does take some work to dissolve.

I usually put it in a mesh strainer, get it wet by putting it at the top of the container, and then work the crystals on the screen with my thumbs until they dissolve.

Horse Badorties
11-14-2011, 01:04 PM
I've been using the GH dry in dirty hempys for a few grows. 1/4 tsp/gal Gro for mini-hempy clones, 1/2-1 tsp/gal for early veggers, up to 2 tsp/gal for gals about ready for the main ring. Then full strength Gro for the 1st couple of 12/12 weeks, hoping for some stretch. It drops my pH like a rock, like down to 4.0. I've been getting better w/ adding enough silica to get things around 6.2, but still usually need to use some pH up.

I've been using room temp rain water, and I haven't noticed any mixing probs with the Bloom... but maybe I haven't been looking closely enough.

Are either of you using liquid or dry KoolBloom? I'm still not completely sure if I need either one. I have been reading some grows of folks only using MaxiBloom from start to finish, and with great results... now that could be ez :loveweed:

Ganjwolf
11-16-2011, 11:36 PM
What is the silica for other than raising PH? Isn't it supposed to make them finish faster?

OBX
11-16-2011, 11:41 PM
I've been using the GH dry in dirty hempys for a few grows. 1/4 tsp/gal Gro for mini-hempy clones, 1/2-1 tsp/gal for early veggers, up to 2 tsp/gal for gals about ready for the main ring. Then full strength Gro for the 1st couple of 12/12 weeks, hoping for some stretch. It drops my pH like a rock, like down to 4.0. I've been getting better w/ adding enough silica to get things around 6.2, but still usually need to use some pH up.

I've been using room temp rain water, and I haven't noticed any mixing probs with the Bloom... but maybe I haven't been looking closely enough.

Are either of you using liquid or dry KoolBloom? I'm still not completely sure if I need either one. I have been reading some grows of folks only using MaxiBloom from start to finish, and with great results... now that could be ez :loveweed:

No, but it seems pretty close to the lucas method of low N right? Why not?

OBX
11-16-2011, 11:42 PM
What is the silica for other than raising PH? Isn't it supposed to make them finish faster?

My understanding is that silica strengthens the cell walls of the plant. More "robust" growth.

Green007
11-23-2011, 09:08 PM
My understanding is that silica strengthens the cell walls of the plant...

Yes, making them stronger so they can support big buds. :)

pippik
11-24-2011, 07:51 AM
If I were to use a 3 gallon hempy bucket how high in inches will you make the hole... And how often do you water? Thanks

Setting Sun
11-24-2011, 08:07 AM
If I were to use a 3 gallon hempy bucket how high in inches will you make the hole... And how often do you water? Thanks

The hole should go 2" up from the bottom, and how often you need to water depends on
what medium you use, how big your plant is, and at what stage of the grow you're in.

The most often I've had to water a 3-gal perlite hempy bucket is every 2 days, but that
also depends on the grade of perlite, because medium grade holds a lot more water
than the coarser grades.

If you're concerned about over-watering, that's really hard to do with a hempy bucket,
which is why they can be a better choice for beginners than soil, IMO.

I killed several soil plants that would have been just fine in hempy :)

pippik
11-24-2011, 01:33 PM
The hole should go 2" up from the bottom, and how often you need to water depends on
what medium you use, how big your plant is, and at what stage of the grow you're in.

The most often I've had to water a 3-gal perlite hempy bucket is every 2 days, but that
also depends on the grade of perlite, because medium grade holds a lot more water
than the coarser grades.

If you're concerned about over-watering, that's really hard to do with a hempy bucket,
which is why they can be a better choice for beginners than soil, IMO.

I killed several soil plants that would have been just fine in hempy :)

thanks for the response bro..i think I'm going to try the same formula that your using and I was wondering the 50/50 perlite and pond soil do you mix it or split it in half(top to bottom)? i want to start from seedling if possible..I'm just worried of using up more nutes everyday day lol :p

OBX
11-24-2011, 02:44 PM
thanks for the response bro..i think I'm going to try the same formula that your using and I was wondering the 50/50 perlite and pond soil do you mix it or split it in half(top to bottom)? i want to start from seedling if possible..I'm just worried of using up more nutes everyday day lol :p

Go light with the nutes - you won't waste too much either, much less than a typical DWC with weekly water changes.

Setting Sun
11-24-2011, 08:10 PM
I mixed the perlite and pond soil and it stays mixed very well.

When I was using coarse perlite, I was concerned that the pond soil
would migrate down to the bottom, which probably wouldn't make
much difference anyway, but it didn't :).

the pond soil really "fixes" the weaknesses in perlite, which are
wicking and water retention, while maintaining perlite's neutrality
as far as PH and stuff.

tokemymeds
12-02-2011, 02:03 AM
007 , OBX , SS good stuff.

TOKE OUT

Tactical_Jem
12-08-2011, 02:15 AM
What is a good brand of perlite to use?

OBX
12-08-2011, 11:56 PM
What is a good brand of perlite to use?

The cheapest you can find.

I had my local Ace Hardware order a 4 c.f. bag, only $20.

Tactical_Jem
12-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Hempy question:
Is water temp important?
With DWC I'm happy with 65-70 F, is it the same with hempy?
For example: If you watered with 55 F water would you see some droop or shock in the plants?

Blue Dawg
12-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Hempy question:
Is water temp important?
For example: If you watered with 55 F water would you see some droop or shock in the plants?

I've never noticed any shock and I've used quite cold water at times. However I'd recommend you try and use it at room temps or a tad cooler.

Horse Badorties
12-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Hempy question:
Is water temp important?

Sometimes I use water that's 55 and I haven't seen any droop or shock... now 45 and you might see something LOL!

doggmaan80
03-14-2012, 12:22 AM
this is cool,im thinking of going to my local dispensary and grabing 10 clones and running hempy style outdoors this spring...:idea:

Welcome to Hempy Style Growing!

http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19427&d=1301523445

I'm not going to discuss anything but the most basic Hempy style here, as this is a thread for Hempy Newbies and Purists. I'll put up another thread for Hempy Variations.

Here's what you need to make a Hempy Bucket.

1. A bucket (2.5 gallons is a good starter size, but any size will do)
2. A drill or other hole making device - a hot nail works great too.
3. Perlite (any size will do - finer is better for the roots, but too fine will run out the hole. Most of the time even "course" grade comes with enough fine stuff)
4. Complete Hydro Nutes (GH Maxi Series, DM Gold, etc.)

First, measure 2" up from the bottom of your bucket, and drill a pencil sized hole:

http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19372&d=1301509761

Then, fill the bucket with perlite.

Add your favorite seedling or clone.

Water with 1/4 to 1/2 strength hydro nutes, and stop watering when you see a good stream of water coming out of the hole.

Depending on where you place your bucket, you might want a tray underneath to catch the run-off. Use the run-off in your garden or discard.

When you first transplant to the bucket, you will need to water daily, until the roots hit the "res" - you will then notice a happier plant.

It's impossible to overwater a perlite hempy, but try to only water when the bucket feels "light".

You can work your way up to full strength nutes, but I usually top out around 1000 PPM. I use nutes with every watering.

Setting Sun and others are far more accomplished Hempy Growers than I am, but I should be able to help with any basic questions, so feel free to ask away! I'll add the points I've overlooked to the tutorial, so please let me know if anything is unclear.

Happy Hempy Growing!!

Hempy Tips, Problems, and F.A.Q.s:

Tip: You may wish to add a couple supports for the plant as perlite is very loose compared to soil. Or drill holes around the top and L.S.T. the plant with plastic coated wire for added stability.

Tip: Wash or at least rinse the perlite in a big cooler or something before adding it to the bucket - lots 'o dust usually.

Tip: You can make "mini-hempy" buckets from 20oz. Plastic Cups - use a hot nail to make the hole 1" from the bottom - these work well for "up-canning" seedlings & clones later to the larger pot. They also transplant well for outside grows - the perlite makes a great root structure, and it's so light it doesn't tear it up when transplanting.

Tip: Some growers use Osmocote Plus at a rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon mixed in the perlite instead of using hydro nutes. Then use plain water or R/O water with Cal-Mag. Only the "Plus" Osmocote will work as it has all the minor nutes.

Tip: You can add a layer of Coco Coir or Hydroton on top to keep algae at bay and help keep the perlite in place.

Tip: While you can use the MG perlite at the big box store, it's usually less expensive to get a 4 cubic foot bag online or at your local garden center.

Tip: You can get bucket for free or low cost at many places - try Trader Joes for free used flower buckets, or most stores that carry flowers may have them. Dollar stores often have 2-3 gallon buckets. Pretty soon you will start looking at every container you see as a potential hempy bucket... :wink:

Tip: If you see the leaf tips get brown, go with 6.0 PH water only the next time to flush, then REDUCE feeding strength until final flush.

(will add here from questions below so you don't have to read the whole thread)

Q. Can I add anything to straight perlite?

A. Yes, you can use all sorts of additions... coco, peat, and vermiculite being the most common, and the 1/4 ratio is a good one. You do have to watch out for coco's affinity for Ca/Mg, and peat's ph down properties... though I don't really know anything bad about vermiculite other than it could clog the hole? It can have PH effects depending on the source.

Q. The perlite I have is really small. As in it will come out the hole on the bottom. Maybe I could combine the hydroton and the perlite? Hydroton up to the hole, and then perlite the rest of the way?

A. I've not done that, but from what I've read, that does not work since hydroton does not "wick" the water up from the res as well as perlite. With perlite too, there are no big pockets of water to drown roots - that's why the finer stuff is actually better. It does come out of the hole... but usually not enough to matter. If it clogs, just poke it.

Q. Is there a "feed / water" schedule?

A. Nope, I feed everytime. Just like a hydro plant gets fed as much as possible, so it is with hempy. Just keep the nutes to a strength the plants can handle - they let you know with the tips first. I would keep it lighter than most full strength schedules for DWC, NFT, or Aero. However, if you notice ANY burning on the leaf tips, use water to flush, and be SURE to reduce the nutes in the next watering.

Q. What PH is good for Hempy?

A. It's the same range as Hydro - 5.2 - 6.2, with 5.8 as a target, but some drift is desirable to absorb the nutes over the entire range of PH.

Q. What are the benefits to Hempy?

A. Simplicity is #1 - with just perlite for a medium, you don't have to worry about over-watering, and you can flush it in an instant if you go overboard on nutes. No soil to worry about, no PH checking every day... most nutes are about right with no PH adjustment at all. No root rot, no tanks to change, no lines to clean... it will not match DWC for vegetative growth rate, but it will get close, and with a low failure rate since there's no pump to break, a harvest is almost assured. Hempy will also often result in larger plants and buds than a comparable soil grow, and there is less chance of the plant becoming "root bound". I have found the roots seem to air prune on the sides, and perhaps water prune on the bottom. I've not had spiraled roots yet. You can also re-use perlite after screening the old roots out and using a enzyme treatment. You may wish to pour boiling water over the perlite to be recycled in a large cooler if you have any disease issues during the grow. H2O2 will also help keep diseases from propagating.

Q. Why is the hole so small? And does it have to be exactly 7/16"?

The hole is small so the water does not run out immediately - it wets the perlite above, and then draws fresh air into the root system as the excess water runs out. A little bigger and you'll see more perlite run out and it will empty too fast, and a little smaller and it will get clogged constantly.

http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19428&d=1301523449

(hope you like my hempy sign! Feel free to use it.)

tokemymeds
03-14-2012, 03:10 AM
i love the hempy for me its a no stress grow. ck out 619ers and others threads below this sticky. some great info there, enjoy.

TOKE OUT

Aseeker
03-14-2012, 04:07 AM
I have four plants in a bubbleponics style system and put an extra one that was a runt into a 2 gal hempy. The hempy has done almost as good as the bubbleponics with little hassle. I seems that it shouldn't work well but it does.

Blue Dawg
03-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Hempy is awesome - hydro like growth & but the simplicity of growing in soil, the best of both worlds imo!

Plus you don't get bugs in perlite :thumbsup:

Chowder
03-16-2012, 07:06 PM
That's a hella word up Blue D...gnats particularly will tend to stay away from and not colonize straight perlite Hempy's. Coco/dirty Hempy's different story.

I had 20 hemps rocking which were perlite/vermiculite with the plants sitting in 4" soil coco pots up top with a tiny bit of Sunshine #4. I imported a huge gnat problem with those things, and never could get them to piss off; they just loved the coco pot/Sunshine #4 and these were some mutant bastard gnats.

My 2 mother plants were in the same room right next to those things but with no coco or soil in the mix at all, and initially I thought they were doomed for infestation. Never did happen. One or two would fly up there, but the plants were so healthy and there was nothing to feed on up there; in spite of a room full of gnats, the girls in straight perlite/vermiculite never fell victim.

Now that those other plants are gone, gnats are gone.

I'm starting a new experiment with Hempy's, incorporating granular neem and granular humic acid in the top of the bucket to encourage beneficial bacteria/mycorrhizae growth. Seems to be a pretty good show so far, but too early to tell.

doggmaan80
03-16-2012, 07:16 PM
thanks bro i mos def will be on this hempy thing now got two buckets already,the gnats are starting to kindof flock to my outdoor babys.good thing im pulling them on the 1st.thanks bro...
That's a hella word up Blue D...gnats particularly will tend to stay away from and not colonize straight perlite Hempy's. Coco/dirty Hempy's different story.

I had 20 hemps rocking which were perlite/vermiculite with the plants sitting in 4" soil coco pots up top with a tiny bit of Sunshine #4. I imported a huge gnat problem with those things, and never could get them to piss off; they just loved the coco pot/Sunshine #4 and these were some mutant bastard gnats.

My 2 mother plants were in the same room right next to those things but with no coco or soil in the mix at all, and initially I thought they were doomed for infestation. Never did happen. One or two would fly up there, but the plants were so healthy and there was nothing to feed on up there; in spite of a room full of gnats, the girls in straight perlite/vermiculite never fell victim.

I'm starting a new experiment with Hempy's, incorporating granular neem and granular humic acid in the top of the bucket to encourage beneficial bacteria/mycorrhizae growth. Seems to be a pretty good show so far, but too early to tell.

Horse Badorties
03-16-2012, 07:29 PM

Hay Chowder! The granular neem sounds interesting, how's it smell? I can't take the liquid, well, syrup kind, ha!

There's always an exception to a rule, and it always seems like I r that exception, LOL. I got gnats in a pure perlite hempy grow immediately after I added some molasses to a feeding... I've never have been able to completely get rid of them!

Chowder
03-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Oooo, Ok my bad dude....drawing conclusions too early I guess. I really try not to do that too, apologies, but man this was like 2 months of battling gnats on that one run of plants and in all that time they never did colonize or lay eggs in those straight perlite/vermiculite ones. I'm no expert on them and shouldn't be making blanket general statements like that; I should say I guess that just from that personal experience there, it seemed like they were less likely to be a problem in perlite/vermiculite.

The neem is strong smelling, but I really like the smell of granular neem. It definitely pervades the whole house, but I don't mind it personally and I have fans that vent into my living space to utilize some of the growroom heat for heating the house. You could probably minimize it with a different configuration, but I'm pretty sure you'd probably smell it no matter what. It's strong. To me at least, the granular has a less sharp odor than say neem oil....it has more of a very, very strong "Everything bagel" smell, but just not quite as sharp than oils or extracts like Azamax.

I'm just in the infancy of trying it, but it's an excellent substrate for microbial development. I use it in organic soil mixes, so I don't see why it would be bad in a Hempy application. Don't know, it might bite me in the ass and wind up growing things I don't want there, but the microbes in Great White seem to be going nuts colonizing the stuff...I figured I'd throw some granular humic acid in along with it cuz, hey why not? Don't know if I would say I recommend any of that yet, because I'm just starting it as far as trying it, but we'll see.

Blue Dawg
03-16-2012, 08:37 PM

Maybe Sunshine breeds super freaking gnats, I was using their organic soil mix. Awesome stuff to grow in but it always had gnats. I'd cook the soil on the grill for 15 mins, dose it with azamax and still had them. Break out the NPS strips until I didn't see any more, put the NPS strips away and they're back within days. Once I pulled all the soil from the room they slowly disappeared. Even if they don't harm the plants they're a total pain in the ass, I had hundreds of them at times.

Hay Chowder! The granular neem sounds interesting, how's it smell? I can't take the liquid, well, syrup kind, ha!

There's always an exception to a rule, and it always seems like I r that exception, LOL. I got gnats in a pure perlite hempy grow immediately after I added some molasses to a feeding... I've never have been able to completely get rid of them!

Haha Horse knows this now, never put anything organic in a pure hempy bucket. If you find a way to colonize some bacteria that's a different story, but it's also not pure hempy anymore either, it's another variation. Hempy+???? :laughing:

Chowder
03-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Gotcha BD, I see your point and I do respect it....I have a respect for the man and the method too, but just try to keep things simple as far as nomenclature.

I've started in small soil pots before and thrown them into Hempy just cuz I hate rockwool. I've done em that way too just starting in cubes and then transplanting to Hempy. They've both worked fine for me, so I guess I have less reservation about having organic material in there. I also don't hesitate to have a little soil left over in transplanting to water culture systems...guess I'm just a goof like that. I don't mean to disrespect the Hempy purists by co-opting their name, and I do agree with you that it's not really a true Hempy at that point.

How bout a Hempyrrhizae bucket??? :supersmile:

Blue Dawg
03-17-2012, 02:51 PM
lol! If I can remember how to spell it, I'm good with it :smile:

Horse Badorties
03-17-2012, 10:24 PM
How bout a Hempyrrhizae bucket??? :supersmile:

That sounds like something I might need a topical ointment for, LOL!

Chowder
03-17-2012, 11:19 PM
:lmfao: You do have to be careful with them no doubt...try to pick em up when they're too full of water and you can get a bad case of mycorrhizoids. They can sure be uncomfortable man...most definitely. :laughing:

Nine Leafer
03-25-2012, 10:29 AM
I seem to have really good luck with Yellow cards. The flies stick and don't get a chance to propagate.
Takes their numbers so low they aren't a problem to the roots. I've also used nematodes with very good
results as well.

:lmfao: You do have to be careful with them no doubt...try to pick em up when they're too full of water and you can get a bad case of mycorrhizoids. They can sure be uncomfortable man...most definitely. :laughing:

Bahahahaha!
:lmfao:

BlueSmoke
03-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Don't let the actual "Hempy" see you on here blaspheming and altering his work lol...

I wonder whatever happened to that guy....you would have thought he was easy going and laid back...I mean.....He's A grower, and he helped develop about THE EASIEST way to grow...so why was he so darn high-strung?

Anyway, I just wanted to see what you guys had to say about soil-less mixes in hempy? I was trying one, and it seems like even with the "High Porosity" mix I have, it's just icky. Added more perlite and it all just floats lol. I abandoned it for a later day, but I've got a whole bunch of single freebie's I'd like to throw in 12/12 from seed, and Hempy's are so perfect for adding a tree to the grow!

Chowder
03-31-2012, 07:22 PM
I know dude, I should've just kept my mouth shut...my personal take on the dalai is that he's a good guy and a damn good grower who wants to help people, but just not the best communicator which can tend to lead to lots of unnecessary turmoil in his threads.

lex0415
07-10-2012, 04:04 AM
Whats up ya'll, great thread by the way. I always grew in soil and I was thinking of going with coco coir or 80/20 perlite/soil so I can get more hydro-like growth without actually going full on hydro. Well it just so happens that I came across this thread and I definately wanna do these hempy buckets. I have a couple Q's if somebody don't mind answering for me. First off, can I use 80/20 perlite/soil in hempy bucks?? If not, can I transplant my seedlings which are already in 16 oz. cups with 50/50 soil/perlite into a pure perlite hempy bucket?? Thanks for the great thread and thanks in advance for any answers.

Blue Dawg
07-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Whats up ya'll, great thread by the way. I always grew in soil and I was thinking of going with coco coir or 80/20 perlite/soil so I can get more hydro-like growth without actually going full on hydro. Well it just so happens that I came across this thread and I definately wanna do these hempy buckets. I have a couple Q's if somebody don't mind answering for me. First off, can I use 80/20 perlite/soil in hempy bucks?? If not, can I transplant my seedlings which are already in 16 oz. cups with 50/50 soil/perlite into a pure perlite hempy bucket?? Thanks for the great thread and thanks in advance for any answers.

Hey lex! Sorry I just saw this, some guys run a combo of soil/perlite which we call dirty hempies.

I run straight perlite, and transplant 50/50 cups all the time. I swish the roots in rainwater first to get as much of the loose soil off as I can, but there's always some left when I transplant. It doesn't seem to hurt anything. I'd suggest you try straight perlite first before venturing into a soil/perlite mix, one thing you want to avoid at all costs is any kind of slime buildup in the res and the more organic stuff in the mix, the more likely you'll have some issues. Feel free to post your questions bro, I'll try and keep a better eye out.... good luck!

lex0415
07-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks alot Blue Dawg, I'll go with str8 perlite and I'm probably gonna use FF Grow Big for veg and FF Tiger Bloom as my primary bloom nute and GH liquid KoolBloom as my PK boost. Do you think I should get any type of cal-mag nutes or what I have will be fine??

Horse Badorties
07-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks alot Blue Dawg, I'll go with str8 perlite and I'm probably gonna use FF Grow Big for veg and FF Tiger Bloom as my primary bloom nute and GH liquid KoolBloom as my PK boost. Do you think I should get any type of cal-mag nutes or what I have will be fine??

Hay Lex! You may not need cal/mag with those nutes, but in perlite it's easy to see if you've got a deficiency, and it's even easier to fix it. Go for the hydro FF stuff, and, don't ask me how I know that!

lex0415
07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Hay Lex! You may not need cal/mag with those nutes, but in perlite it's easy to see if you've got a deficiency, and it's even easier to fix it. Go for the hydro FF stuff, and, don't ask me how I know that!

Thanks bro, I got 1 qt. FF Tiger BLoom and 1 qt. GH KoolBloom for flower, so I'm using those during flowering. Now when it comes to veg I only have a few oz. left of FF Grow Big, but the GB is not the hydro version. I wanna use ALL GH products after I use up my FF products. So all I need is to get the FF GB hydro version for veg and I'll be good, right???

Horse Badorties
07-12-2012, 07:13 PM
I think you should be okay. GH also makes a dry KoolBloom that they'd like you to use for the last bit of flowering. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I do know it can be hard to dissolve, but I've pushed it through a sieve into a cup of warm water with good results.

My experience with the GH stuff is that it drops the pH like a rock. I finally got some Earth Juice pH up flakes that take care of that, and is a lot more stable than the drops I used before. I'd also use the nutes about 1/2 strenth until I was sure how the plants like it. I've also had good luck using just the MaxiGro, and no KoolBlooms, through flower.

Rastafari
07-13-2012, 12:51 AM
Sup guys, heres a couple pics of my Hempy cups.....love these things, never seen clones start vegging so fast !!!

LSD & Liberty Haze 3 wks old

Cheese, White Widow & Deli Haze 2 wks old

I had some extra clones so popped them into bloom trying to get some lollipop buds.....I even to one just 1 day old straight into bloom closet, just to play around...Great White powder is really helping I believe..

Bloom

lex0415
07-13-2012, 04:30 PM
I think you should be okay. GH also makes a dry KoolBloom that they'd like you to use for the last bit of flowering. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I do know it can be hard to dissolve, but I've pushed it through a sieve into a cup of warm water with good results.

My experience with the GH stuff is that it drops the pH like a rock. I finally got some Earth Juice pH up flakes that take care of that, and is a lot more stable than the drops I used before. I'd also use the nutes about 1/2 strenth until I was sure how the plants like it. I've also had good luck using just the MaxiGro, and no KoolBlooms, through flower.

I still haven't decided on what to get from GH, they got so many choices. Most likely I'll get the Flora 3-part, it seems like a good trio and I could always try the Lucas Formula on 1 plant and the 3-part on the others to see which is better. I got 10 reg Blueberry plants, 5 are 3 wks old and the other 5 are 1 wk old, the 1st 5 had lots of problems, like fungus gnats, the bulb went out so I had them on a window sill for a whole week, and I also dropped 2 of them. I won't have room in my flower closet til August 1st so I'm probably just gonna keep all of them in soil/perlite and save the hempy buckets for my new batch of feminised seeds that I'm saving. I just don't wanna make 10 hempy buckets and only 3-4 end up being females, thats a waste of perlite and time. Another reason why I don't wanna do hempy's yet is because I don't have a PH pen, so I'm gonna have to get distilled water and that costs alot of money when watering 10 plants in perlite, then 4 or 5 of them for 2 months of flower, so I gotta get a PH pen and EC meter so I can use my tap. Anyways sorry for rambling on, thanks for all the help.

Rastafari
07-13-2012, 06:11 PM
TGIF Hempy Farmers !!!!! I have decided to try a full Hempy grow, I have a couple of questions, if I have already asked forgive me, gathering all info....

I am concerned about how much more nuts a Hempy bucket will use. I been growing in soil perlit mix......... If I grow in straight perlit is there anything I can mix thats cheep to retain water/nuts ?
Will I notice a large use of my nuts, since the perlit has no nuts ?

Clones getting full strength nuts, looking really good this morning......

4 wks & 3 wks old

Rahstah
07-13-2012, 06:49 PM
I used Jack's 2 part hydro nutes $12 and you get a pound of each part. I used just over a pound but I had 2 hempy's and the DWC and I think my nutes got a bit wasted on the DWC more so than Hempy. I also watered with nutes everytime with the hempy and I'm sure I could've done plain water every now and then to save nute usage. GOOD LUCK! I think you'll love hempy

Blue Dawg
07-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Sup guys, heres a couple pics of my Hempy cups.....love these things, never seen clones start vegging so fast !!!

LSD & Liberty Haze 3 wks old

Cheese, White Widow & Deli Haze 2 wks old

I had some extra clones so popped them into bloom trying to get some lollipop buds.....I even to one just 1 day old straight into bloom closet, just to play around...Great White powder is really helping I believe..

Bloom

Looking good bro! I keep mine in the cups until they've pretty well filled them with roots, then I transplant to 2L's and flower them. If you're not concerned with plant limits it's one of the most productive ways to use your space, you can pack a lot of 2L's into a small space and should yield 15-20g's per clone.

I still haven't decided on what to get from GH, they got so many choices. Most likely I'll get the Flora 3-part, it seems like a good trio and I could always try the Lucas Formula on 1 plant and the 3-part on the others to see which is better. I got 10 reg Blueberry plants, 5 are 3 wks old and the other 5 are 1 wk old, the 1st 5 had lots of problems, like fungus gnats, the bulb went out so I had them on a window sill for a whole week, and I also dropped 2 of them. I won't have room in my flower closet til August 1st so I'm probably just gonna keep all of them in soil/perlite and save the hempy buckets for my new batch of feminised seeds that I'm saving. I just don't wanna make 10 hempy buckets and only 3-4 end up being females, thats a waste of perlite and time. Another reason why I don't wanna do hempy's yet is because I don't have a PH pen, so I'm gonna have to get distilled water and that costs alot of money when watering 10 plants in perlite, then 4 or 5 of them for 2 months of flower, so I gotta get a PH pen and EC meter so I can use my tap. Anyways sorry for rambling on, thanks for all the help.

I run lucas formula and love it. I use GH Micro & Bloom and you mix them at a 2-1 ratio and feed that the entire grow. For vegging I generally use 5ml Micro/10ml Bloom per gallon. Also about 3 ml/gal Silica & 5ml/gal cal-mag. For the first 6 weeks of flower I ramp up to 7.5/15 with the micro & bloom, 7.5 cal-mag and silica the same. After that back to 5/10/5 for a week or two and then just water until harvest.

If you decide to go that route and have hard water make sure you get the hard water micro.

Another thing I strive to do if possible is use captured rainwater, it's really made a difference in my grows. If you have access to rainwater and run your nutes as I outlined above you'll be right about 6.0 ph and should be fine. If they look a little stressed, up the silica to 5ml/gal which will raise your ph to the 6.2 range. I broke my ph probe and ran my last grow just as the above, never checked ph or ppm's and never had a problem. Good luck bro!

TGIF Hempy Farmers !!!!! I have decided to try a full Hempy grow, I have a couple of questions, if I have already asked forgive me, gathering all info....

I am concerned about how much more nuts a Hempy bucket will use. I been growing in soil perlit mix......... If I grow in straight perlit is there anything I can mix thats cheep to retain water/nuts ?
Will I notice a large use of my nuts, since the perlit has no nuts ?

Clones getting full strength nuts, looking really good this morning......

4 wks & 3 wks old

The best thing you can do to lessen your nute bill is to minimize runoff, I try not to have any or just a trickle. Water slowly at first and stop as soon as you see runoff. Soon you'll have a feel for just how much to give them. I just did a 30 clone run for less than $50 in nutes total and you should be in that same ballpark. I highly suggest that for the floor of your garden you put down some plastic and then put a towel over that, it will absorb what runoff you do have. It never causes me any problems.

I used Jack's 2 part hydro nutes $12 and you get a pound of each part. I used just over a pound but I had 2 hempy's and the DWC and I think my nutes got a bit wasted on the DWC more so than Hempy. I also watered with nutes everytime with the hempy and I'm sure I could've done plain water every now and then to save nute usage. GOOD LUCK! I think you'll love hempy

I've heard great things about Jack's but never tried it. I feed with every watering too, and with 2L's in flower I'm feeding them every day. From now on though they're just gonna get plain rainwater once a week.

Good luck guys lots of great questions :smokealot:

GreenGold
07-14-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm running some hempy tomatoes outside right now and they LOVE the Jack's 2-part.

Blue Dawg
07-15-2012, 04:22 AM
I'm running some hempy tomatoes outside right now and they LOVE the Jack's 2-part.

How do they taste bro? I'm growing mine in organic soil with mater magic & tomato tone, the taste is just exquisite with a hint of sweetness. Funny thing too, they've had almost zero bug issues even though they're outdoors. If I brought them in I'd have a gnat infestation within the week.

GreenGold
07-15-2012, 05:51 AM
How do they taste bro? I'm growing mine in organic soil with mater magic & tomato tone, the taste is just exquisite with a hint of sweetness. Funny thing too, they've had almost zero bug issues even though they're outdoors. If I brought them in I'd have a gnat infestation within the week.

No tastes yet. I was a little late getting going, but I have lots of green fruit that should start being ready any day now. So excited!

I took two approaches with tomatoes this year. I have some in 15 gallon smart pots that are in an all organic mix, fed with Chickity Doo Doo (composted chicken manure) and Tomato Tone. These plants are fantastic. They're over 6 feet and bearing heavy fruit. If they taste as good as these plants look, they'll be my best ever. The organic soil mix thing is really growing on me.

And then I have some in hempys. The hempys have hydroton up to the drain hole with a 3:1 mix of arcillite and perlite up to the top. They're getting fed with Jack's Pro Hydro/Calnit and Orca.

I'm interested to see if there are taste differences too. I'll let you know.

Rahstah
07-15-2012, 03:18 PM
No tastes yet. I was a little late getting going, but I have lots of green fruit that should start being ready any day now. So excited!

I took two approaches with tomatoes this year. I have some in 15 gallon smart pots that are in an all organic mix, fed with Chickity Doo Doo (composted chicken manure) and Tomato Tone. These plants are fantastic. They're over 6 feet and bearing heavy fruit. If they taste as good as these plants look, they'll be my best ever. The organic soil mix thing is really growing on me.

And then I have some in hempys. The hempys have hydroton up to the drain hole with a 3:1 mix of arcillite and perlite up to the top. They're getting fed with Jack's Pro Hydro/Calnit and Orca.

I'm interested to see if there are taste differences too. I'll let you know.

very interested in your tomato results.

Rastafari
07-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Happy Sunday to ya all Mon !! Let me help you with a funny thing that happened lastnight. Watering the gurls in the bloom closet and wife wanted to help so I let her, guess you can see were this is going...lol
I have been watering 3 of my gurls with molasses every Saturday night there are 6 plants and 3 Hempy cups in bloom closet......I went to kitchen to get paper towel and wife said all done, I said wow thats was quick, she said ya 1 gal between 9 plants goes fast...lol oh no...lol :oops:....so now all gurls are getting Molasses...lol oh well no biggey, so ended up being 4 gal of Molasses mix ( 2 TBSP per Gal H2o ) to get run off, even the Hempy cups....lol
Mrs Rasta meant well, probably be so sweet kick ass buds, never added Molasses before.....

Ok, does anyone see a problem with Molasses in the Hempy cups ?? My water/Feed goes like this .........Mon/Nuts, Thurs/Nuts, Sat/Molasses

Horse Badorties
07-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Happy Sunday to ya all Mon !! Let me help you with a funny thing that happened lastnight. Watering the gurls in the bloom closet and wife wanted to help so I let her, guess you can see were this is going...lol
I have been watering 3 of my gurls with molasses every Saturday night there are 6 plants and 3 Hempy cups in bloom closet......I went to kitchen to get paper towel and wife said all done, I said wow thats was quick, she said ya 1 gal between 9 plants goes fast...lol oh no...lol :oops:....so now all gurls are getting Molasses...lol oh well no biggey, so ended up being 4 gal of Molasses mix ( 2 TBSP per Gal H2o ) to get run off, even the Hempy cups....lol
Mrs Rasta meant well, probably be so sweet kick ass buds, never added Molasses before.....

Ok, does anyone see a problem with Molasses in the Hempy cups ?? My water/Feed goes like this .........Mon/Nuts, Thurs/Nuts, Sat/Molasses

Hay Rasta, the only time I put molasses in hempies, I ended up with gnats the next day! flush it! flush it! flush it! unless you like gnats!

Rastafari
07-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Hay Rasta, the only time I put molasses in hempies, I ended up with gnats the next day! flush it! flush it! flush it! unless you like gnats!

TY Brother !!!!!

Green Gun
08-02-2012, 05:01 AM
This thread is very helpful. Right up until the talks turned to nutes. For the absolute beginner (or "idiots" as the thread title says), nutes are very confusing. Someone mentioned earlier that they only use 2 nutes. Where do you find the watering schedule for them? For vegging and flowering?

Can you scrog using the hempy buckets?

I have a RO water system I just bought specifically for the hempy buckets. Im not sure how much the ph will be, but can I assume it will be lower then the 6.0 target you guys have mentioned?

Brujah
08-02-2012, 05:13 AM
Lucas Formula using General Hydroponics FloraNova series

This is probably the easiest (but not cheapest - see MaxiBloom above) feeding plan available. If you're using General Hydroponics' FloraNova Bloom 1-part system, simply add 8ml of FloraNova per gallon of water* and feed.

this is the same thing as using the two nutes. The two nutrients they probably mentioned were Flora bloom and Flora Micro but I like Flora Nova Grow as it has both in 1 bottle. most people also use calmag

You can SCRoG using any growing method as long as you plan ahead.

RO water is pH neutral at 7.0

619ster
08-02-2012, 07:10 AM
This thread is very helpful. Right up until the talks turned to nutes. For the absolute beginner (or "idiots" as the thread title says), nutes are very confusing. Someone mentioned earlier that they only use 2 nutes. Where do you find the watering schedule for them? For vegging and flowering?

I have a RO water system I just bought specifically for the hempy buckets. Im not sure how much the ph will be, but can I assume it will be lower then the 6.0 target you guys have mentioned?
Lucas Formula uses Micro and Bloom from the 3 part Flora series. Flora Nova Bloom can be used all the way, which is like using the micro and bloom. Although I'd stay leery of getting up to 8ml per gal cuz that stuff is HOT!! With Flora micro and bloom you can easily get up to full strength (8ml micro , 16ml bloom > 1:2 ratio). But like with most nutes, you start at 1/4 dose and work your way up from there. I know of simpler formulas that you can use pretty much all the way through a grow (except baby seedlings), veg AND flower. Most any strain too! And yes you can scrog with hempy. Peace!

Blue Dawg
08-05-2012, 02:40 PM

I was confused too so I can relate. But I use the lucas formula described by 6. In veg I use 5ml micro, 10 ml bloom, 3 ml silica & 7.5 ml calmag per gallon. In flower I bump the micro/bloom to 8/16 as 6 says. About week 8 I cut way back again and mostly just give them rain water.

this is the same thing as using the two nutes. The two nutrients they probably mentioned were Flora bloom and Flora Micro but I like Flora Nova Grow as it has both in 1 bottle. most people also use calmag

You can SCRoG using any growing method as long as you plan ahead.

RO water is pH neutral at 7.0

Actually RO has no pH at all, and pH neutral is 6.8. Anything below that is considered acidic & above is alkaline. In general rainwater is pH neutral at 6.8. For the OP, you will need to mix your nutes and then check pH. Adjust as needed to get it in the 6.0 - 6.5 window that seems to work very well in hempy. If you leave it sitting around for a day or 2 between feedings check it again as it will often drift up or down.

Green Gun
10-14-2013, 07:07 PM
I know it's been a while but thanks for the knowledge. I've had several hempy harvests and hempy is great. I've modified the buckets/set-up a bit to fit my needs and last harvest I got 1.6lbs from a 1kwatt bulb. Not too shabby, I recommend it to everyone.

Horse Badorties
10-14-2013, 08:31 PM
I know it's been a while but thanks for the knowledge. I've had several hempy harvests and hempy is great. I've modified the buckets/set-up a bit to fit my needs and last harvest I got 1.6lbs from a 1kwatt bulb. Not too shabby, I recommend it to everyone.

Hay Green Gun! Welcome to BP! Glad to hear you got such a great pull... what have you changed up?

Green Gun
10-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Hay Green Gun! Welcome to BP! Glad to hear you got such a great pull... what have you changed up?

I had a unique situation where the Hempy bucket solution was my only hydroponic option. I was going to face a problem with Hempy because I wanted to run SCROG set-ups. Once a hempy plant has grown into the screen, it becomes impossible to tilt it over for flushing. It also caused a problem of not knowing when to water because you could no longer pick up the bucket to gauge it's weight. And I wanted no wasted nutes. So I made some changes:

No longer drill a hole in the side. Use regular planting buckets with factory holes in the bottom. Use water trays to create additional reservoir which adds an extra day in between feeding. These also allow me to see *exactly* how much water the plants have. My trusty shop vac makes flushing very easy should I need it. Straight perlite with a small layer of hydroton on top. Feed from the top.

http://i43.tinypic.com/35cqw5x.jpg

The 1.6lb pull was from a scrog set-up with Liberty Haze. I hope to get that to 2lbs with a batch of Khalishnakova coming up behind it.
http://i40.tinypic.com/1035sb5.jpg

My nute schedule is here:

Horse Badorties
10-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Hay GG!

I've done a hempy scrog, but never tilted to flush, just plugged up the hole, filled the pot, then let it drain quickly into an under liner as I sucked out the overflow w/ a fluid transfer pump. I've now got my pots (AirPots) set in under liners like you are using, and bottom water occasionally.

The rolling scrog is great, how many plants, and what size are your pots?

Green Gun
10-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Hay GG!

I've done a hempy scrog, but never tilted to flush, just plugged up the hole, filled the pot, then let it drain quickly into an under liner as I sucked out the overflow w/ a fluid transfer pump. I've now got my pots (AirPots) set in under liners like you are using, and bottom water occasionally.

The rolling scrog is great, how many plants, and what size are your pots?

Four 3.5 gallon buckets under the scrog. How do you get your buckets to drain when you plug up the hole?

Do you feed nutes every time? Or have a nute-water-nute schedule? I recently switched over to a nute-molasses-water schedule and I'm hoping that it is the last adjustment I have to make in a while. I used to feed nutes everytime but my sativas weren't liking it.

Seed/Clone (mL/gallon) GH Series (Micro/Bloom/Grow)
1/4 mL MBG
2mL Calmg
1mL Rapid Start

Veg
5mL MBG
2mL Calmg
1mL Rapid Start

Veg-Flower transition
7mL M
10mL B
5 ml G
5mL Koolbloom
5mL Floranectar
2mL Calmg
1mL SUPERTHRIVE

Flower
8mL M
12mL B
5 mL G
8mL Koolbloom
8mL Floranectar ( only used week 3-5)
2mL Calmg
1mL superthrive

Veg and Flower schedule is feeding every 3 days. Nutes - RO water with molasses (40mL/gallon) - RO water. Repeat. The last 2 week flush will be just the molasses feed. Once a month I'll add in 10mL/gal FloraKleen during the water cycle. This helps with the salt build-up.

Horse Badorties
10-15-2013, 12:30 AM
Four 3.5 gallon buckets under the scrog. How do you get your buckets to drain when you plug up the hole?

Do you feed nutes every time? Or have a nute-water-nute schedule? I recently switched over to a nute-molasses-water schedule and I'm hoping that it is the last adjustment I have to make in a while. I used to feed nutes everytime but my sativas weren't liking it.

Seed/Clone (mL/gallon) GH Series (Micro/Bloom/Grow)
1/4 mL MBG
2mL Calmg
1mL Rapid Start

Veg
5mL MBG
2mL Calmg
1mL Rapid Start

Veg-Flower transition
7mL M
10mL B
5 ml G
5mL Koolbloom
5mL Floranectar
2mL Calmg
1mL SUPERTHRIVE

Flower
8mL M
12mL B
5 mL G
8mL Koolbloom
8mL Floranectar ( only used week 3-5)
2mL Calmg
1mL superthrive

Veg and Flower schedule is feeding every 3 days. Nutes - RO water with molasses (40mL/gallon) - RO water. Repeat. The last 2 week flush will be just the molasses feed. Once a month I'll add in 10mL/gal FloraKleen during the water cycle. This helps with the salt build-up.

I would pull the plug! I never found tipping the hempy buckets to do much, so I was more interested in stirring up the rez with fresh stuff. I was following Hempy, over at eye cee, and he fed everytime.

I'll be real curious to see how the molasses works for you. I tried it, and the next day had fungus gnats!

Thing is, I would not listen to me if you got over an elbow and 1/2... I'm going to start copying you, LOL!

Green Gun
10-15-2013, 02:18 AM
I'll be real curious to see how the molasses works for you. I tried it, and the next day had fungus gnats!

Thing is, I would not listen to me if you got over an elbow and 1/2... I'm going to start copying you, LOL!

I'll keep an eye out for those gnats! As far as my nutes, it's been trial and error to get to this point. My indicas were taking the schedule just fine, but my sativas were getting burnt. And I use about half of what is recommended on the bottle. I have a 3rd round of scrogging Liberty Haze in Veg which will be my last run with that strain for a while. After that, Im trying Kalashnikova which is a huge bud producer. Shooting for 2lbs. Since that big pull, I have added a 600 watter and running OG Kush and Holy Grail kush under it for a room total of 1600 watts.

Here's a shot with the 1.6lber hanging in the background. You can see bud sizes back there with the solo cup.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2r76kg2.jpg

I am curious how your Pineapple Express and Jack Herer are faring. I have some of those beans and am curious:supersmile:

Horse Badorties
10-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Hay GG! The PE I harvested had a lot of issues... me, myself and I, LOL! Great smell while growing, and smoke is very good. This present round may actually be done in 55 days. I've recently switched to organic nutes, and soiless mix, so I'm still working on it. It is a crowd pleaser, though.

My Jacks may not even be Jacks! I was given clones 3 years ago, and these girls don't look like any one else's, well except for the orange hairs. Mr horse loves the smoke, so I keep growing it. It's a bit hard to train, but a scrog would teach it a lesson or 2, LOL!

Nice shot over the scrog into the drying room... very comforting, LOL!

mrhappyandfriendly
01-23-2014, 12:30 PM
I have a space I could grow hempy or airpot in - the issue with the space is temps which will be 30-33c with lights on, possible some days spiking to 35C. Possible or not? Basically want to get them to a certain size maybe 3-4 weeks and then shift into my flowering cab. Any thoughts on this I'd appreciate.

BigTurk
01-23-2014, 02:32 PM
I'm just spit-ballin' here; but I would think some of the Equatorial Sativa strains
could thrive in that environment...Something from...say...Thailand maybe..?:)

I haven't run Hempy in 35 degree temps, but I have gotten close with C02 Augmentation.

Have any Freebie Seeds to run as a Pilot Project..?

Bandit420
01-23-2014, 02:53 PM
I have a space I could grow hempy or airpot in - the issue with the space is temps which will be 30-33c with lights on, possible some days spiking to 35C. Possible or not? Basically want to get them to a certain size maybe 3-4 weeks and then shift into my flowering cab. Any thoughts on this I'd appreciate.

Water and air...And lots of it!!!!
I grow outdoors in the Summer of the SW USA and routinely face temps 100f+, sometimes as high as 108 or 42c.
The key is lots of water and morning Sun with relief midafternoon.
For your project you may want to consider running your lights for fewer hours per day too. Like for veg I would stay away from any on time over 18 hours and may be tempted to run it 16 on 8 off

mrhappyandfriendly
01-23-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm just spit-ballin' here; but I would think some of the Equatorial Sativa strains
could thrive in that environment...Something from...say...Thailand maybe..?:)

I haven't run Hempy in 35 degree temps, but I have gotten close with C02 Augmentation.

Have any Freebie Seeds to run as a Pilot Project..?

hehe - Jefe I like your thinking; I have a metric ton of bagseed that could be put to good use in an experimental Pilot Project, funnily enough, an equatorial Sativa Strain from Thailand :).

Being as they'll be in pure Bangkok air that's about as close to natural CO2 Aug that you're gonna get - ever. Let's give a whirl eh... time to piss off my maid - she hates it when I get these building projects :) - create a big mess and there's never anything to show, it all somehow disappears.

The space I've got is about 100"w x 15"d x 30" on a balcony. I was thinking of wiring it up with cfls and fans with a small filter. Use one side for for veg and the other for early flower, keep cab for the last growth transplanting from hempy into the Happy Hydrofarms (as I have now dubbed my ex-nasa growing equipment). Hopefully getting them in and out with a 30-30-30 cycle or thereabouts (effectively tripling the amount of grows I can do at present).

Just head bangin' for now but I can feel a DIY coming on real soon and this hempy gig sounds about right for this....

mrhappyandfriendly
01-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Water and air...And lots of it!!!!
I grow outdoors in the Summer of the SW USA and routinely face temps 100f+, sometimes as high as 108 or 42c.
The key is lots of water and morning Sun with relief midafternoon.
For your project you may want to consider running your lights for fewer hours per day too. Like for veg I would stay away from any on time over 18 hours and may be tempted to run it 16 on 8 off

Well that's the nail in the coffin of any remaining doubts I had holding me back - Mr Happy's Hemp (something alliterative and funny here) to follow :)

RockoDWC420
03-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the info OBX ive never heard of this style before but may give it a shot in a small container when i start my 1st grow

countrycbc
08-23-2014, 06:46 PM
great info thanks