PDA

View Full Version : Help.... Heavy buds are breaking my branches...

BeaverHuntr
05-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Does anyone know of some tricks to keep buds from breaking or snapping branches? I'm on day 49 of 12/12 and a couple of my plant branches are breaking because the buds are too heavy.. :badday:

Roseman
05-31-2011, 05:45 PM
I've seen wires, coat hangers, ropes, strings, cord, to tie them up.

Great problem to have tho!

Dreks420
05-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Just as rose said, You can use just about anything to tie them up. You can get some Garden tie wire from Homedepot etc.. Def a good problem to have haha

Seymour420
05-31-2011, 06:00 PM
If I am lucky enough to have that problem I am going to duct tape bamboo poles to the bubble bucket then tie the buds to the poles with butchers string. God I hope to have your problem.

MostlyCrazy
05-31-2011, 06:19 PM
I don't know how your grow room is set up but I screw in some cup hooks as tie off points. I screw them in higher than the plant tops and let the weight hang from them. I also install the cup hooks about 2/3rds of the way up and use that as a fail safe in case of fall over. As others have said you can use twine, garden tie made for tomatoes or almost anything.

That is a great problem to have.

BeaverHuntr
05-31-2011, 06:21 PM
If I am lucky enough to have that problem I am going to duct tape bamboo poles to the bubble bucket then tie the buds to the poles with butchers string. God I hope to have your problem.

lol .. Dude you beat me to the punch. I have the same idea you have and will be buying some today. I lost like 2 big fat buds from my OG plant and this morning my Burmese Kush branch snapped..

BeaverHuntr
05-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks everyone. This morning I was pissed and had to tie them with string, I couldnt do much because I was running late for work.

MostlyCrazy
05-31-2011, 06:24 PM
String is fine. Now you can chill.

stak
06-01-2011, 12:51 AM
if you can, I would try to tie up the branches to the main stem and not to parts of the bucket or the grow room or tent. If you tie to the bucket or the room or a tent you'll have problems when you go to check res levels, replenish, or change reservoirs (pretty much any time you try to move the plant).

Mike8888
06-01-2011, 03:11 AM
I had that problem this weekend on a herijuana plant that did a healthy stretch, I use epoxy coated wire used in rebar tieing, made a hook on each end and hooked to opposing branches to hold each branch up closer to the main stem.

MostlyCrazy
06-01-2011, 03:19 AM
I did that once and the only problem I found is that if one goes they all go. I think you can do that but you need a solid tie off somewhere.

Seymour420
06-01-2011, 04:59 AM
I don't know how your grow room is set up but I screw in some cup hooks as tie off points. I screw them in higher than the plant tops and let the weight hang from them. I also install the cup hooks about 2/3rds of the way up and use that as a fail safe in case of fall over. As others have said you can use twine, garden tie made for tomatoes or almost anything.

That is a great problem to have.

What do you screw the hook cups into? Better question can I rotate my girl if she is tied that way?

Seymour420
06-01-2011, 05:01 AM
lol .. Dude you beat me to the punch. I have the same idea you have and will be buying some today. I lost like 2 big fat buds from my OG plant and this morning my Burmese Kush branch snapped..

Now that is bitter sweet. Sad it broke but you also get samples! Lol

MostlyCrazy
06-01-2011, 05:11 AM
When I used them I was growing in a 4x7' closet. I'd run a line from one wall to the other about 2/3rds the way up the plant to catch any falling buds and if I saw a big one I would put a cup hook on the ceiling and tie that bud to the cup hook above it. Hang 'em high and support them in the front.

BeaverHuntr
06-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Is there any way my plant will bounce back ?? The leaves look all droopy but not crispy yet they just look dead should I just pluck off the buds from the broken stems. i taped the stems up and tied them up straight but they dont look to be recovering a few other bud sites are still in good condition but the bent stems look dead. Should I just cut and dry those?

MostlyCrazy
06-02-2011, 04:44 PM
It's only been a coule of days. Give them a few more and look for any improvement. If not healing by this weekend you can cut them.

BeaverHuntr
06-02-2011, 04:54 PM
It's only been a coule of days. Give them a few more and look for any improvement. If not healing by this weekend you can cut them.

Cool man its Burmese Kush and they have a 7 1/2 week finish time and I'm pretty much there. I didnt start the flush because I wanted them to get strong again so I just gave them some nutes instead of the flush.

MostlyCrazy
06-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Problem with nutes now is that there is not much N in the mix and that would be what the plant needs to rebuild quickly. The point of waiting is to see if it can rob enough from the leaves to heal. Wouldn't want to add a dose of N at this point as it might slow the rest of the bud development and generally confuse the plant. That's why waiting is the thing to do now. Sort of a let nature takes its course view on it. Glad you are close and as others have said at least you'll have a sample at the very worse.

Olias
06-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I Know The Feeling:

BeaverHuntr
06-02-2011, 05:30 PM
I Know The Feeling:

LOL Olias uses the same blue masking tape I do ... Dude Olais thats pretty much what my branches look like now, plus they are tied up to Bamboo...

GaladrielDreams
06-02-2011, 05:45 PM
I also know the feeling...

Twisty tied, duct taped, and tied with string to keep her standing up straight!

MostlyCrazy
06-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Tells you something when you have a tape dispenser in the grow room! I do!

619ster
06-02-2011, 09:37 PM
What up Beav let's see it lol. I used bamboo and string as well. My plant just needed 1, but for a bigger plant I would use 2 or 3. If it wasn't for that pole, this plant would not be standing:
http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27354

ROBBIE313
06-02-2011, 09:43 PM
i use balloon string an tacks ,id skip the tacks an use duct tape,the tacks are a pain in the ass

BeaverHuntr
06-02-2011, 11:21 PM
What up Beav let's see it lol. I used bamboo and string as well. My plant just needed 1, but for a bigger plant I would use 2 or 3. If it wasn't for that pole, this plant would not be standing:
http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27354

Thanks 619, I learned my lesson the hard way I now have a bag of twenty, 6 foot bamboo sticks. If only I could have saved the Buku....

UrbanGrow
06-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Yeah tying them to the main stem is what works for me, I use some heavy string

619ster
06-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I first tied my lanky branches to mainstem, then they all started fattening up as well as main cola. Then the whole plant was bending and ready to tip over or snap. Only thing to do was tie mainstem to that bamboo, or tie it to the top of my tent. The bamboo was more mobile:wink:

GaladrielDreams
06-03-2011, 12:10 AM
had to break out the popsicle sticks today... one of the colas wanted to snap over again... So I splinted her with some popsicle sticks and twisty ties... She's standin tall now :)