PDA

View Full Version : Tomatoes

tokeroo
08-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Just order my grow tent and bubbleponics setup. I am planning on growing some 'maters and maybe a pepper plant.

I am only planning on growing two 'maters at a time. If you have never grown 'maters before, these plants can get BIG and tend to need a lot of support. So I am going to be tinkering with pruning these things back. I expect just a few flowers at a time from such a small space/plant.

My grow tent is 36"x20"x62" - and as an example of how big these things can get (indeterminate), I have a 4'x4' SFG box outside with two 'maters and a few pepper plants and some bush beans. A single indeterminate 'mater plant is taking up the entire thing, and that is AFTER some pruning. It's growing overtop all the bush beans and is trying to "push" the pepper plants out!

Materials should be in this week, but my 3mo son is having surgery this week also. I will update this once things are set up and will try to keep a general grow log here. May be of use to others wanting to use Bubbleponics for some veggies :)

I am planning on using this as my learning experience for Bubbleponics and hydro in general. If it works well, I will order a new BP setup for the ganja :jointsmile:

MostlyCrazy
08-22-2011, 04:00 PM
You might want to see how determinant strains grow in the tent to limit vertical growth to something managable. You will also need to be the "bee" and shake the plant every day to distribute the pollen effectively. No pollen distribution, no tomatoes.

Good luck with your son's surgery.

Roseman
08-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Yep, I tried it and failed....the polination test!

tokeroo
08-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys. With the extreme lack of bees this year, I have had to help out my outdoor tomatoes some. I just grab the flowering branches and shake them around some to release the pollen.

I have one set of determinate seeds so far, but I am thinking indeterminate since they keep flowering - just have to be crazy aggressive with the pruning :)

MostlyCrazy
08-22-2011, 07:13 PM
I too had to wack around my plants this year but I just slapped around my steel stakes. I becam a human vibrator! LOL! It didn't help when I determined that I had applied the azamax pest control way too early and with that stuff apparently even the bees won't touch the plant. Live and learn.

I've never pruned an indeterminant. It would be interesting to try but my height limit is the sky outside! LOL!

tokeroo
08-22-2011, 07:45 PM
I too had to wack around my plants this year but I just slapped around my steel stakes. I becam a human vibrator! LOL! It didn't help when I determined that I had applied the azamax pest control way too early and with that stuff apparently even the bees won't touch the plant. Live and learn.

I've never pruned an indeterminant. It would be interesting to try but my height limit is the sky outside! LOL!

What are you using to stake/cage them things up? I reused some of the 3 ring metal cages, and they worked for all of 2 weeks until my plants went all he-man and bent them about out the ground lol.

MostlyCrazy
08-22-2011, 07:51 PM
8' concrete reinforcing rods. If I were working inside I seriously consider some floor to ceiling netting.

tokeroo
08-22-2011, 08:03 PM
8' concrete reinforcing rods. If I were working inside I seriously consider some floor to ceiling netting.

Well, we have some netting outside still in the plastic it came in. I may go pick up some pvc plumbing pipe and build a trellis frame to sit inside the tent and attach the netting to that. Hmm, I wonder if pipe cement will work to affix the netting w/o melting it away?

MostlyCrazy
08-22-2011, 08:16 PM
I'd tie it down with some string.

tokeroo
08-27-2011, 01:17 PM
All the stuff is in, but not setting it up yet as Irene is about to hit us. Hope to have this up by next weekend, but will depend on how we fare in the storm

tokeroo
01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Well after many delays, the most recent being holiday decorations/tree, the wife finally let me set up the grow tent for the tomatoes. Here are a few shots - I am trying to germ the seeds directly in the cubes while in the system. Hope it works, if not I guess it's off to starting them in a dome. The LED I have is a GloPanel45. It's pretty crappy, and several of the LEDs have already died. I figured I would see how it does with site 2 - site 1 will be powered by (for now) 4 26w CFLs. Need to work on the fan setup as well, right now I have a hacked in "circulation" fan.

OBX
01-02-2012, 11:41 PM
I've got some sungold going under a single CFL, so you should have luck!

I've used an old electric toothbrush for pollinating with great success. It simulates the buzzing of bees.

tokeroo
01-12-2012, 06:43 PM
OK so I have done my first res change, and I noticed that the "feeder" tubes that are hooked into the pots were slimy where they were in the water. I use well water which is around the 150ppm range from the tap. I also didn't soak/rinse the air stone before use. Anything to worry about?

OBX
01-12-2012, 07:43 PM
It's likely algae - wouldn't worry too much, but H2O2 is a great tool for keeping the res clean.

tokeroo
04-25-2012, 08:26 PM
well I killed them. I couldn't make them flower no matter what I did. They were supposed to be determinates (or so I thought) but these things just kept growing. I never figured out the nute issue, but I flushed them for about a week then re-filled reservoir with LOW dose nutes and they started shooting off all kinds of new growth. After jumping into the FOURTH month after planting, and still not a single sign of flowers, I killed them.

Hydro is a like a rich chick - TOO HIGH MAINTENANCE! *lol* I think I will stick with soil for now :)