Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pythium, Root Rot

The Old Man

Awards Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 9,694 Times in 3,377 Posts

Pythium, Root Rot

Thick, fat, white furry roots are what you most want to see in Hydro- they are absolutely indicative of healthy root growth. Be aware however that the color of a nutrient solution will stain the roots, turning them yellow or brown. This is also true of many nutrient additives. Older, more mature plants will have a darker cream-colored root system, and some plants just tend to have a natural cream colored color pigment. Those Stealth Hydro pre-packaged nutes always leave the roots WHITE. The Grow Nutes leave a slight Green tint and the Bloom Nutes leave a slight pink tint.
    Root Zone Temperature
    The temperature of the root zone and the temperature of the nutrient water solution can have a major effect on the healthy growth and appearance of the root system. In general the temperature should be between 68 and 72 degrees farenheit. Anywhere between 64 and 74 will be OK. Colder or warmer conditions can cause poor and stunted root growth, as the roots don't want to grow into the unhospitable nutrient solution. Major root death can occur in even brief periods of cold or heat stress. Poor temperature conditions leave the door open to root disease.
    Some would argue that one of the strengths of hydroponics is its sterile environment, and the notion of exposing growing systems to bacterial and fungal organisms would be self-defeating, if not sacrilegious. These growers rely on sterile growing environments, strong disinfectants and a product like SM-90.

Another option is Hydrogen Peroxide. Each of these offer their own protection and benefits. But NEITHER SM-90 or Hydrogen Peroxide works well with organic nutes or organic additives in the reservoir. You can not try to kill the organic algae or pythium and add organic materials back. That just won't work!
    They do not work well together and SM-90 has also been known to react poorly with Superthrive.In a sterile growing environment, your goal is to have a super clean reservoir. This is harder than it sounds. Folks who have been growing in the same area with the same equipment for years might find that they are suddenly having root problems when they never had them before. Or a new grower might begin having problems right from the beginning because of his water or temps.
    Keeping your reservoir totally sterile can work very well, but once you get a population of icky badness it will keep coming back again and again. Some pathogens such as pythium are almost impossible to get rid of completely. No matter how many times you sterilize everything with a bleach solution, the problem returns. It can get very frustrating and expensive to constanly be battling. More and more innovative growers are moving toward a more wholistic approach of using good microbes in the reservoir with organic nutes or staying with strickly chemical nutes..
    One option is to use no organic additives at all and to rely strictly on chemical nutrients based on fertilizer salts. We think a better choice is to continue using organic material, but also using an enzymatic addtive like Hygrozyme that will break down the unwanted organic matter in the reservoir . If you would like to use additives such as bat guano, compost or fish-based products, you might consider run to waste instead of a recirculating system.

I have to add that the above mentioned additives other than Peroxide can really screw with your pH.

Look at the PEROXIDE STICKY on this forum for more info
    How Do I Join the BubbleHeads?

Roseman's Bubbleponics - DWC Tutorial.

New to the forum? If so please do an Introduce Yourself Thread Here!

:spongebob: Stealth Hydroponics, Get 10% off for all members when you use the coupon code "bubbleheads"

If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.

PLEASE VISIT THE CONTEST THREADS SOON!
    Roseman, the BubbleHead and The Old Man at bubbleponics.com/forum

I'll be away more often, but I am not GONE. Save my seat!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roseman For This Useful Post:

The Old Man

Awards Showcase

Thanks

Bumpity Bump, Bump!

:spongebob: Stealth Hydroponics, Get 10% off for all members when you use the coupon code "bubbleheads"

If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Roseman For This Useful Post:

Awards Showcase

Thanks
    photo.jpgphoto1.jpgI went to my local hydro store to get some hygrozyme( just in case to have on hand) which they didnt have and he didnt even hear of it. He suggested this product. What say you?

Moderator and BH Chief

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,057 Times in 6,246 Posts
    I know the label says hydroponics but it sound more like a soil additive to me. How arer you going to use 3 times a week in hydro and once every week thereafter. You need Hygrozyme, Sensizyme or cannazyme.
    Welcome to the Bubblehead's Home!

Peace to all who visit!

Use Offer Code - bubbleheads for a 10% discount at Stealth Hydro!

Bubbleheads united to help all growers

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MostlyCrazy For This Useful Post:

The Old Man

Awards Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpotatohead View Post
    photo.jpgphoto1.jpgI went to my local hydro store to get some hygrozyme( just in case to have on hand) which they didnt have and he didnt even hear of it. He suggested this product. What say you?
    Thats a Zyme product, (microbes) and will work fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Roseman For This Useful Post:

The Old Man

Awards Showcase

Thanks
    Yep what FPF and MC said.

So, how do you cure root rot, I've been fighting it for about 2 weeks. I'm doing DWC weekly water changes, adding peroxide, and using Hygrozyme.
    What else can I do? I know my temps are on the high side at 81 degrees, I can't get the house temps down any more with out adding $200 more to a $300 electric bill.
    Also my plants are a few weeks into bud, can I convert over to dirt?
    Thanks
    :celebrate:Check out my current grow at: http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/...60-My-new-grow

BP Padowan Learner

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,196 Times in 3,070 Posts
    Start freezing 2 liter bottles and put them OUTSIDE on your reservoirs. I had to fight a slime invasion that would have turned into pythium. Keep using the Hygrozyme, and if you can get some mychorriza beneficials, that would help as well. There are a few out there, Oregonism (turns your res black) Great White (looks like tea in your res), and Great white has made something for hydro called Orca. The mychorriza got rid of the lime, and made my roots healthy again, but I made sure to keep the res cool with the frozen 2 liter bottles.

I used frozen 2 liter bottles filled with water, and placed them on the outside edges of my reservoirs to keep my res temps cool. Then when you get the res temps down in range, you can remove the bottles. If the temps start to climb back up again, you put another bottle or two next to the res.

DSC04736.jpg

If you look in between the buckets, you'll see my frozen 2 liter bottles next to the reservoirs. It worked pretty good. As long as you check your temps, and replace the bottles when needed, you might get through this.

Hope this helps!
    :LG:

The "Tech Guru" Bubblehead in Training :nerd:Growing at High Altitude -8,600 ft above Sea Level :saywhat:
    My Current Grow Journal Link -Galadriel's Garden Realm Part 2- Strains Pineapple Express, Super Lemon Haze, Power Kush, Cheese & Home Bred Super A, and Super A2 __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    Check out our Contests!
    Introduce yourself HERE!
    How to Upload Pictures and Post to our Forums.

How to Post Videos in your threads.

What's a Reputation? What are those Green Dots under my Username?

Volunteer HERE to help us!

We need European, Hawaiian, and Australian Time Zone Moderators as well as hospitality team members. MAC/Ipad/Iphone/Droid experts wanted also.
    How to Post a Poll

I'm New, How do I use the Forums?
    I can't view pictures in Roseman's Tutorials! Help?
    How to put images or links in your signature.

October 2010's and January 2012's Winner of Bubbleponics.com's Most Helpful Member Contest
    1 of 3 Winners of a Digital Vaporizer in the Bubbleponics.com November 2010 Scavenger Hunt!

Completed Grows: Amethyst Eärendil -An LED Exclusively Lit Grow with 2 GrowLEDHydro's Spectra 100w UFO's Galadriel's Garden Realm - A Perpetual Grow
    Fem Blue Cheese, Super Lemon Haze ,White Widow & Cheese from clones

♥♥Patty♥♥

The Old Man

Awards Showcase

Thanks
    You gotta get the water temp down, then drain and replinish and use something like SM-90, or Hygrozyme.

Freeze some one gallon jugs of water, one gallon zip lock baggies and lay them on the reservoir or put one jug up against the 4 different sides of the tank and blow a fan on it. Then, drain and replinish.

Read the peroxide sticky int his forum.

Thanks, I'm already doing all that.
    :celebrate:Check out my current grow at: http://forum.bubbleponics.com/forum/...60-My-new-grow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast