Thread: My Micro-Pore Oxygen Diffuser Install - Bubbleponics 6-Planter

My Micro-Pore Oxygen Diffuser Install - Bubbleponics 6-Planter

Hey, I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone else is thinking about using those Micro-Pore Oxygen Diffuser's made by Deepwater Inovations. Last week I ordered a Sunleaves 600 GPH pump and a Double Micro-Pore Oxygen Diffuser from Stealth Hydro with plans to beef-up the oxygen delivery into the water of my bubbleponics 6-planter. The pump made too much noise and the amount of bubbles this combo puts out is just too much for this setup. But I really loved that Double Micro-Pore OxygenDiffuser made by Deepwater Innovations, its very well built and looks like itwill last a lifetime like they say and it's not fragile like the rock air-stones I'm constantly breaking. The bubbles this "Oxygen Diffuser" puts out are very small, 90 - 250 micron sized bubbles which are a fraction of the size air-stones put out. These diffiusers are designed for hydroponics and the air hose connection is 5/16”, not the 5/32” like you find on all aquarium pumps. They also require a lot more pressure to drive then aquarium air-stones and in my setup I cannot have noisy piston pumps that I can hear through doors.

Sunleaves makes a T-adapter for their 5/16" heavy duty air pumps thatallows it to drive up to six 5/32" aquarium-sized lines, and I thought why not flip-it and have acouple aquarium pumps with 5/32” hoses power the Micro-Pore Diffuser with the 5/16”connector. I had a Tetra Whisperaquarium pump with dual-ports that I picked up at Wallmart for $20, I picked upa second identical pump so I could some really serious aeration and for redundancyin case one pump failed. Both of thesepumps are a lot quieter then the Sunleaves 600 GPH, but if I didn’t already have this one I would have got the Tetra AP-150 or AP-300 as these are their most powerful pumps and are supposed to be a lot quieter then the Whisper30gal/60gal pumps I am using. I did not have to make any modifications to the Reservoir for the 5/16" air-line, I just removed the rubber grommet for the air-line hole on the tote and the and the 5/16” ID (7/16” OD) air hose I got at Lowes fit snuggly through this hole just perfectly.

Here are the photos of my setup:

OxyBubbleponics 6-Planter 001.JPG

OxyBubbleponics 6-Planter 002.JPG

Notice all those HUGE air-bubbles? When those bubbles break they mist the bottom of the net pots soaking the hydroton & exposed roots above the water with highly oxygenated water/nutrients. I can place my hand, palm-down, a couple inches above the water and it is damp within a few seconds from all those large bubbles popping. I was really surprized at how much "spray" this thing put out and I think this will speed up the time it takes for the roots to hit the water. I also imagine this will really help stimulate root growth & prevent problems like root-rot. I am now loading the rockwool cubes with some seeds I have been soaking for the last 12 hours so we shall see soon enough!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbabuds For This Useful Post:

The local Peddler

Awards Showcase

Thanks
    This will work great. You're pretty much implementing our Oxyponics® design. Direct feed DWC is far more effective than indirect oxygenation. I.E. A DWC system with a submerged airstone in the same area that the roots reside tend to have a better production rate compared with DWC systems relying on DO levels as oxygenation occurs indirectly at the external reservoir or controller.

Water oxygenated with air pumps connected to a submerged air stone produce water with a relatively low DO level compared with the amount of air "injected" into the volume of water. Simply put, the vast majority of air pumped through the air stone is simply lost. Only a tiny percentage of the air dissolves into the water.

By utilizing direct oxygenation; you create a soup of water with nutrients and bubbles for the roots to bathe in... Oxyponics® by definition. You can't go wrong with your design. The more air in the soup, the better the growth rates. Another advantage of DWC is that it is one of the few hydroponics methods that can be effectively used with a water chiller. Systems like aeroponics, NFT and even Ebb & flow methods do not expose the root mass to the cooled water for long enough for the plant to implement its thermoregulation when exposed to high air temps.

I've mentioned the story that led to my epiphany of the Oxyponics® system. My good friend and Bubbleponics.com forum leader/ growing guru, Roseman, had mentioned to me about the unbelievable growth "boosts" he would notice after "airing" out his roots by balancing his Bubbleponics® lid between the backs of two chairs, thereby dangling the roots freely exposed to nothing but air for up to 30 minutes at a time.

The Oxyponics® Pro Six, which has been under development for well over a year, simulates Roseman's "root air bath" by way of electronic automation. There is a website out there that, ironically, credits Roseman for the invention of Bubbleponics®. Ironic because; and he'll be the first one to modestly correct the statement as to who invented it; without Roseman's help in the form of simple emails he fully expected we would not read, and almost certainly not take any of the advise offered.

would not even expect us to read that led to significant improvements of the system. Roseman, may not be the man that invented the original prototype, however, he is certainly credited with the honor of perfecting the system and growing the biggest buds I'd ever seen grow under CFLs.

Anyway, enough rambling on my part; your system will rock the house; just wait and see.
    Cheers,

StealthHydro

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StealthHydro For This Useful Post:

HOSPITALITY TEAM

Awards Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,280 Times in 971 Posts
    Man that looks like what I need we're do you get the micro-pore I love the idea of oxyponics just can't afford it. But a stone like that and a slightly better airpump Id be happy. right now I have the 2 outlet Walmart airpump connected to 4 of Walmart air stones and I barely have any bubbles it's quite sad. I have a 30 gal res a lot bigger then sh so I need a lot more bubbles then what I got.
    Member of the month February 2012

Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!
    ''George Washington"

My current grow 2nd grow
    http://bubbleponics.com/forum/showth...287-s-2nd-grow
    My 1st grow jurnal
    http://bubbleponics.com/forum/showth...e-bubbleponics
    my all natural medicine thread
    http://bubbleponics.com/forum/showth...plants-to-heal

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

Midnight Toker - El Jefe Verde
    1 Toke Over The Line, at bubbleponics.com

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,113 Times in 5,784 Posts
    SH used to carry them but I just went to their website to get you a link and I can't find them. Hmmm.
    Join the FUN! - Participate in the Contests here at bubbleponics.com

Are you new to bubbleponics.com? Why not introduce yourself HERE

What are the RULES at bubbleponics.com ???

ADVICE Disclaimer

Roseman's Bubbleponics - DWC Tutorial

"Grow in peace, pay it forward, have fun" - MostlyCrazy

Midnight Toker - El Jefe Verde
    1 Toke Over The Line, at bubbleponics.com

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,113 Times in 5,784 Posts
    Here's the link to a 10" at HTG - LINK
    Join the FUN! - Participate in the Contests here at bubbleponics.com

Are you new to bubbleponics.com? Why not introduce yourself HERE

What are the RULES at bubbleponics.com ???

ADVICE Disclaimer

Roseman's Bubbleponics - DWC Tutorial

"Grow in peace, pay it forward, have fun" - MostlyCrazy