Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pot size and plant height question.

V.I.T.R.I.O.L

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,306 Times in 2,284 Posts

Pot size and plant height question.

Is there a golden rule when it comes to pot size and plant height or does it all depend on the situation and grow medium?
    The secret to potency and flavor isn't a nutrient or additive, it's PATIENCE!

MY PERPETUAL GROW

If the infinite had not desired man to be wise, he would not have bestowed upon him the faculty of knowing. -Manly P. Hall

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Shinbee For This Useful Post:

Moderator and BH Chief

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,752 Times in 6,390 Posts
    One foot per gallon is a good place to start. It depends on a few things like sativa vs indica but that's not a bad rule in general.
    Welcome to the Bubblehead's Home!

Peace to all who visit!

How Do I Join the BubbleHeads?

Roseman's Bubbleponics - DWC Tutorial.

Use Offer Code - bubbleheads for a 10% discount at Stealth Hydro!

Bubbleheads united to help all growers

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MostlyCrazy For This Useful Post:

V.I.T.R.I.O.L

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    How come I see some guy's grow huge plants in little tiny cups and pots?
    I've read that the biggest reason for up-canning is that the roots get bound and stop absorbing nutrients properly but in air pots or smart pots thats not supposed to be an issue.
    Is root depth related to plant size?
    Can't be, because my 3 gallon smart pots and my one gallon smart pots are almost the same depth and I've grown plants that were close to 4 feet tall in a 3 gallon pot.

All I can think of is water holding capacity compared to water absorption by the plant.
    My one gallon pots can only hold about 32 ounces of water every other day, my 3 gallon pots can hold a half gallon every other day. If the plant needs let's say 1/4 gallon of water a day to flourish and I'm only supplying around half that because thats all the coco will hold will that cause the plant to stay short or cause a slow down of growth or am I stoned and way off base here?
    The reason I suspect this is because I've seen people use tiny pots filled with coco on flood trays and get monsters. Whats the difference?
    Does any of this make sense to anyone but me?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I'm just trying to be as efficient with space and substrate as I can be and using larger pots then ABSOLUTELY necessary seems like a giant waste.

Thanks guy's!

MY PERPETUAL GROW

If the infinite had not desired man to be wise, he would not have bestowed upon him the faculty of knowing. -Manly P. Hall

Moderator and BH Chief

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It's more about the size of the root mass. The tap root only gives it the length to expand but how much it expands is up the the size of the pot.

Yes, some can grow in smaller pots but it's easier to manage larger pots and you can give the plant more surface area to deal with and therefore more surface area of roots in soil. A plant spends it time balancing the root vs vegatative growth volume. A plant grows as big as the surface area of it roots and how well those roots function along with the water, light, nutes and additives provided. That's a lot of variables and that's why sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't.

Peace to all who visit!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MostlyCrazy For This Useful Post:

Senior Smoker

Awards Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,924 Times in 510 Posts
    I try to follow the gallon per foot rule but I think air pots may be an exception. I have 1.5 and 3 gallon air pots in flower right now and the only difference I have noticed is the smaller pots dry out faster. I would say the determining factor with air pot sizing is your feeding schedule. I think you could easily grow a four footer in a 2 gallon pot.

The smaller pot might actually do better because it dries out quicker, giving more air to the root zone and allows more frequent feedings. But on the other hand the bigger pot will allow for a bigger root structure which leads to a bigger plant.

If you are hand watering I would opt for the larger pot that will give you a longer time buffer between feedings.
    The smaller pots would be ideal for a flood table.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SUPERBONG For This Useful Post:

V.I.T.R.I.O.L

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info guy's but I'm still confused, maybe I'm just over thinking it.
    I've got 4 plants in 1 gallon pots right now. I think I'll repot 3 of them an leave one in the 1 gallon pot and see what happens, I might have to water it more often then the other 3 but what ever I'm using Jacks so waterings literally take a commercial break lol I'll update here with my findings in a few weeks. In the mean time any links or infromation on this subject would be helpful.

Thanks MC and SB for putting up with me and my stubbornness, can you tell I'm a Taurus lol, you guy's rock I'm rolling a joint and vaporizing a bowl and it's getting dedicated to your grows.

MY PERPETUAL GROW

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Shinbee For This Useful Post:

SoCal Bubblehead

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 31,439 Times in 5,645 Posts
    Depends on the medium BIG time, which has not been mentioned. With soil, I would not attempt to grow a large plant in a small pot (done it and it wasn't good. But we all know I can get a nice and bushy 2 footer out of a small solo cup. Explain that LOL!

I think SUPERBONG put it best. More air to roots, faster growth. But yes, at the same time, more root space givesw bigger plants. So it's a matter of having bigger plants, or having faster plants, when they both do the same LOL. Hope I didn't confuse you more because I kinda just confused myself
    Last edited by 619ster; 10-18-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    SPACE INVASION!! 100W UFO X 2 SOG GROW

My current grows here:http://bubbleponics.com/forum/showth...-LED-grow-room Bubbleheads Styleee!

My LED + CFL GROW- 4x4 tent- Afgoo Trainwreck & Pure Royal Kush

The Lonely Hempy Experiment

Did somebody say BUBBLES!
    Keepin It Green!!!

Febuary Most Helpful and Nicest Member 1st place Vaporizor Winner

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 619ster For This Useful Post:

V.I.T.R.I.O.L

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 619ster View Post
    Depends on the medium BIG time, which has not been mentioned. With soil, I would not attempt to grow a large plant in a small pot (done it and it wasn't good. But we all know I can get a nice and bushy 2 footer out of a small solo cup. Explain that LOL!

I think SUPERBONG put it best. More air to roots, faster growth. But yes, at the same time, more root space givesw bigger plants. So it's a matter of having bigger plants, or having faster plants, when they both do the same LOL. Hope I didn't confuse you more because I kinda just confused myself
    I had to read it out loud to myself a couple times but I get what you mean... I think.

All i want is about 3.5- 4 foot plants and I'm using 50/50 coco perlite so maybe the gallon pots will work after all still doing a comparison to find out what works best for me but atleast now I'm not going into this project completely ignorant. Thanks again guy's!

MY PERPETUAL GROW

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Shinbee For This Useful Post:

SoCal Bubblehead

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 31,439 Times in 5,645 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shinbee View Post
    I had to read it out loud to myself a couple times but I get what you mean... I think.

All i want is about 3.5- 4 foot plants and I'm using 50/50 coco perlite so maybe the gallon pots will work after all still doing a comparison to find out what works best for me but atleast now I'm not going into this project completely ignorant. Thanks again guy's!
    If you doing it with Killing Fields you'll have at least that size plants

with 1 gal pots you'll need a drip system or auto feed system. My 3 footers in 2 gal pots required 2 feedings a day.
    SPACE INVASION!! 100W UFO X 2 SOG GROW

My current grows here:http://bubbleponics.com/forum/showth...-LED-grow-room Bubbleheads Styleee!

My LED + CFL GROW- 4x4 tent- Afgoo Trainwreck & Pure Royal Kush

The Lonely Hempy Experiment

Did somebody say BUBBLES!
    Keepin It Green!!!

Febuary Most Helpful and Nicest Member 1st place Vaporizor Winner

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 619ster For This Useful Post:

Moderator and BH Chief

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'll bet that 2 footer in a solo cup drank nutes like it had a straw.

Peace to all who visit!

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MostlyCrazy For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast